Latest SWA Hiring News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

beytzim

I may be repeating what's been said before, but what the he11.
Just spoke with PHX CP, here is the latest:

160 to be hired over next three months, 3 classes in Nov, 2 in Dec, 3 in Jan. 35 aircraft deliveries for '06 equals at least 350 new pilots (even though current aircraft/pilot ratio is 11:1). An additional 150 pilot retirements will require at least 500 pilots for '06.

Increase pilot schedule productivivity for '06 via a union/managemant sideletter enacted in '06 will increase productivity by 2% - that means less pilots needed. So instead of an 11:1 ratio we go back to 10:1 hence the 500 pilots or a little less. Still, not bad.

Electronic Flight Bags are on their way. Jeppesen just lowered the price over 50% for us so it looks we'll probably use them sometime in spring of '06 as testers. So for new hires: don't buy those $350 scott's bags!

We're working on a deal with Boeing to install a partial glass panel on the newer -300's on the line.

Come on board! Kick a$$ company like everyone says.

Beytzim,

I hope you are right. BUT . . . .

1. We haven't approved the major Sideletter, so at best it is just a guess on pilot requirement.

2. Going from 11:1 to 10:1 pilot/jet ratio, would be about a 10% productivity increase. I show 4737 pilots as of today, and 440 planes. That is a 10.76 ratio.

3. With 35 new a/c deliveries next year, we would have 475 a/c. 10:1 would be 4750 pilots, which we are just 13 shy of. So 13 + 150 retirements gives me 163 pilots needed for new hire classes. I, of course, want 1000, but assume the figure is somewhere in between, so your 500 number seems about right, but not the way the math works out.

4. Earlier this year in DAL, I was told by someone above CP that it would be a few more years before the electronic flight bag. I was told 4 years ago they were coming in 2 years. Bottom line, I'll believe it when I see it. Your news about Jepps dropping the price was new to me, so maybe you are on to something. Newhires shouldn't buy a Scott Leather (or any brand) pubs bag until you show up to training and you ask the training folks the status of the Electronic Flight Bag. You don't need it until you get to the line anyway, so its not like they are going to rag on you.

I hope you are spot on with your remarks, as both of us want more seniority ASAP. It wouldn't be the first time a CP was wrong, even a senior guy like DK.

Fujitsu quit making the OPC model a year ago. Heard we were buying them off ebay. Last I heard we could being seeing the EFB early next year.
kelbill said:
Beytzim,

4. Earlier this year in DAL, I was told by someone above CP that it would be a few more years before the electronic flight bag. I was told 4 years ago they were coming in 2 years. Bottom line, I'll believe it when I see it. Your news about Jepps dropping the price was new to me, so maybe you are on to something. Newhires shouldn't buy a Scott Leather (or any brand) pubs bag until you show up to training and you ask the training folks the status of the Electronic Flight Bag. You don't need it until you get to the line anyway, so its not like they are going to rag on you.

Cool. I just don't want to get my hopes up too high. Any JetBlue folks have comments as to their likes and dislikes of the EFB? I would really like to know what they think. Not exactly a competitive advantage, as we will get them eventually, so please chime in.

As for the need for insider help to get an interview, I don't officially know about that. I assume not, BUT, it sure can't hurt. Do your homework and see if you can use the seven degrees of Kevin Bacon or whatever and find the name(s) of some folks you know and perferably have flown with in your career who are at SWA now. Some guys might blow you off, but others know what a big deal any job is and will gladly help you get hired (assuming you aren't a tool).

So for new hires: don't buy those $350 scott's bags!
Ahhh, you could fit a pretty nice lunch in one of those bags without those pesky Jepps. You might be able to feed yourself for a few lunches over 3 days! Dats alotttttta Doretos!

logolight said:
Do you still need to have inside references to get an interview?
I didn't have any... a lot of people don't seem to, although most DO seem to have the type.

Great news on the hirings, for whatever reasons at whatever staffing, hiring is GOOD. :D

logolight said:
Do you still need to have inside references to get an interview?

Never have, never will. In fact SWA is one of the few places where you can't really "walk in" a resume. Where having internal references comes into play is AFTER you have gotten an interview those refs will aid in the final up or down decision. Many get hired knowing no one here, but having good internal refs will certainly help *ONCE* you have gotten your interview.

Torti was saying this week we are definitely getting the EFB. Apparently, it is the same setup FEDEX is implementing. About a year away.

Latest resources

Back