• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest rumors about Midwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think its Midwest mistake, why in the hell we agree to let them dead head on us, can we dead head on them?????

Every capacity purchase agreement with regional airlines includes deadheading. You regionals have to be able to position crews to operate flights for your airline.

Every capacity purchase agreement with regional airlines includes deadheading. You regionals have to be able to position crews to operate flights for your airline.

Fare enough, What is your source for this info? I don't remember we were allowed to dead head on mainline with my previous regional

My info is based on experience as an MEC member at a regional airline. In some cases the regional has to "compensate" the mainline partner a portion of the fare price if a passenger is actually bumped, but that depends on the specific agreement. Mainline airlines understand that their regionals can't operate the schedule without repositioning crews, so it's a cost of doing business. The alternative is not having any regional partners, and we know how much management likes that idea.

Well, with all my work with alpa including strike committee chairman with my previous regional I never heard of what you mention here. But I'll take your word for it.

The SkyWest guys are doing what their JS coordinator asks of them. (unfortunately) It is company policy to occupy the jumpseat when deadheading if the flight is full. The JSC has (correctly) informed the SkyWest guys that this is a big no-no on other airlines. If a SkyWest pilot takes the jumpseat, while on company business, SkyWest is in effect using the jumpseat for company business. SkyWest should be paying for a seat on the flight for the crewmember. (I believe they do pay for the seat) More importantly, the SkyWest pilot may be taking a jumpseat that another pilot is trying to use.

Now, that is not to say this should be done blindly. I have waited around, and made damn sure that no pilots needed he JS, and I have then ridden in it in order to get another person aboard.

Two things about this really chap my a$$:

1) Didn't TH say that SkyWest would be a good fit for the MEH "family" and corporate culture? Round peg...square hole. Nuff said.

2) Isn't MCI a "base" of sorts for SkyWest, or did that change after they conquered the D ramp at MKE? If they have so much going on down there, shouldn't they staff it? A gate agent there told me that they kept a "spare" there.

FWIW, I have seen the AD that requires the Barbie Jet to carry a ton (actually 2-3) of extra fuel if alternates are needed. Also there is a 6000 lb difference between takeoff and landing weights. I'd bet that the good ol' CRJ can't carry a full load of pax and bag to MSN or GRB if alternates are required. It's no so far fetched to see that they are weight restricted. Thank goodness DR and TH got rid of those nasty 328s and 1900s.

isn't MCI a skywest domicile or is it a mx base?

perhaps the forward cargo bin would be more applicable. just don't light one up in there.........

Last edited:
FWIW, I have seen the AD that requires the Barbie Jet to carry a ton (actually 2-3) of extra fuel if alternates are needed. Also there is a 6000 lb difference between takeoff and landing weights. I'd bet that the good ol' CRJ can't carry a full load of pax and bag to MSN or GRB if alternates are required. It's no so far fetched to see that they are weight restricted. Thank goodness DR and TH got rid of those nasty 328s and 1900s.

I have been denied the j/s on skywest from CLT-MKE for "balance" purposes even though we were still 3000# from max t/o wt. Then the bastards had the nerve to add 1000# of ballast to an relatively empty baggage (the CA said they only had 600# in there) area to bring them in balance. I guess the 1yr wonder didn't think of adding more ballast to get a fellow crewmember home. The AirWhiskey guy who was there and didn't get on said he HATED j/s on SkyWest for this very reason as he could never remember having problems on AirWhiskey's 200's. I am glad I haven't commuted since 2004 as I do not miss crossing the fingers on every other leg home.

I am sure they would happily fly 88 seat 900's if TH called upon them to do so. If it's one thing PCL_128 and I agree on, get rid of regional jets period. I would love to see the proposed APA scope language be put into our contract.

We have a no strike/no lockout clause, we should also have a no furlough clause from #396 on up only to be fair.

Last edited:
I just finished a 3 day with a guy who was accusing me of being unfair in trying to spread the word about passing the furlough assessment and getting the % only in our merger assessment, believe me it was not your ideal 3 day trip.

what was his/her problem with the % merger assessment?

Latest resources

Back