• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest rumor on SWA classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to one of the asst. chief's the type rating is still not required for the interview, only to get a class date if hired. However he didn't say how a lack of a type would affect the ranking of the application.

At Higher Power last week, Rebekah Krone came by to give us the current run-down on SWA. The one thing that sticks out is that the sim ride is definately out. They are still looking at the possibility of using a cockpit panel and a laptop computer for some situational-type questions in the interview.

Also, the original plan was to have the on-line application system up and running by the first of the year but that has now been re-stated as ready in the first quarter of '04.

She mentioned projected hiring numbers and I took some notes on them, just don't have them in front of me, but I think the number was not 12,000, it was more like "our total number of pilots will double by 2012". So that means hiring approximatly 3500 in the next 9 years. Sounds a little more like that 400/year number we have been hearing kicked around here.

We asked about the new city and she claimed she did not know and most of us believed her. When I said Honolulu, she laughed. I still have my $ on Honolulu.

For those of you looking for a good place to get the 73 type, Higher Power is the place to go. I just finished on Sunday and I have nothing but good things to say about their training. Plus, you make a couple of great contacts at southwest. Good luck to all.

Kevin

Bamboo Bomber????

Holy Shnikeees,

Use a bamboo bomber and a laptop. Will interviewees play minesweeper or solitaire, while doing mock flows and being yelled at that they are late for pushback?

Later,

SR

Looks like it's more than double.....

Straight from www.southwest.com, it looks like plans are more on the order of 10K pilots by 2012.

Training: On an average day, the flight operations training center will have 80 to 120 pilots in the classrooms and simulators, and instructors will log about 100 hours per day with pilots training in the six simulators. Southwest's Flight Training Center is capable of training up to 500 new-hire pilots each year. The center will conduct proficiency check rides and recurrent training for a pilot population of more than 4100.
People Statistics: Currently, Southwest has 4117 pilots and projects that the pilot headcount will approach 10,000 by 2012 due to growth and attrition.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back