• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Last Usairways Trip"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
airbus331 - I really hate to see things like that happen to folks. I wish you the best of luck at JetBlue. From all I have experienced so far you will love it. Look forward with anticipation of enjoying going to work again.

Airbus331-

Congrats on the new job -- tough call and a bittersweet exit at US Airways, I am sure. I was seriously bummed after just 30 months there.

However, I am confident you will love JetBlue. You are not the first to make this type of move. In my new hire class last October, we had a 13+ year US Airways veteran who left to come to JetBlue. Ironically, he got his third furlough notice in the mail two days before his JetBlue classdate.

Don't look back -- enjoy the the rest of your career at JetBlue. Welcome aboard, and I can't wait to see you in the crew room.

Lets get going!

Airbus331
When I was hired at Delta it was truly one of the high points of my life. I remember looking at my picture on the Delta ID card over and over and saying "I can't believe I'm here after dreaming of it for 20 years in the military. When I was furloughed it took about 6 months for the shock to wear off and reality to set in. Before furlough, had the company asked me to "work without pay" because Delta needed it I would have said "Sure, anything for the team" The more savy Captains I flew with would chuckle under their breath when I would rant about the Delta family and how great it was! I would call the schedulers and ask if they needed people. I attempted to volunteer as a ramp worker while on furlough with no success. Someone mentioned to me that the company might consider me a disgruntled worker.
The people I flew with were truly great! The pilots take money away from their own families and pay my health care. (thanks guys) But I no longer consider the company "a family" I still can't help feeling like I was the first "member of the family" thrown out of the lifeboat when the waves got rough. I guess DAL acted just like a responsible company should. I was the one who expected too much. I was the one who was wrong.
Getting hired by jetBlue has my excitement level max'ed out again! Hearing all the jb pilots on this board talk about the company like a family--like a team gives me the belief that its just what I was hopng for again! A flying job thats also a team! A fun place to work! I can hardly contain my excitement as my wife and I begin to pack for the first days of indoc down in Miami. Thank you jetBlue!
So Airbus331, here's to a great new career start on 3 March
Best of luck! Banger

airbus331,

You asked the most important question a person could ask oneself when evaluating employment decisions, "Do you look forward to going to work?".

Congrats on your new career at JBLU, and as others have suggested, don't look back. Just enjoy. A quick glance at my profile indicates that I too, have had to make similar decisions, and I can honestly say that no matter how it may have seemed or felt at the time, they led me to where I am now in my life, both professionally and personally. And I wouldn't trade either for anything in this world.

Again, good luck and congratulations!!

Re: Lets get going!

banger said:
Airbus331
When I was hired at Delta it was truly one of the high points of my life. But I no longer consider the company "a family" I still can't help feeling like I was the first "member of the family" thrown out of the lifeboat when the waves got rough. I guess

Nothing against DAL, but I think that the senior pilots attitude of "You're not a real DAL pilot until you've put on the orange apron a few times" is a bunch of crap.

At my airline, my fellow pilots took a small, temporary pay "snap back" in exchange for no furloughs of the junior guys, and that was one of the deciding factors for me in making the jumpr here. If I was going to cast my lot with an airline after 9/11, it was going to be with a pilot group that cared about the junior guys and put their money where their mouth was.

Having 1000+ guys out on the street for three or four years, while you have whales making $300K+ is just bizarre, to me.

You made the right choice . . . . Because you know that you are going with a profitable company whose members see the big picture.

Do you have A330 time too?

Congrats on your move to Jetblue! Looking at your background, it doesn't indicate A330 time (like your avatar indicates). Do you have A330 time? Seems like a great airplane.

Great job - I'd love to fly for Jetblue!

If I was going to cast my lot with an airline after 9/11, it was going to be with a pilot group that cared about the junior guys and put their money where their mouth was.

.......or maybe because they were the only one offering you a job?

Airbus 331

Jack,

I don't think I've met you, therefore take any comments with a grain of salt, 'cause I don't know Jack!

I think that Airbus 331 actually was in a great situation in that he did have a choice. I don't think he was in the "Furlough is Right Around The Corner" Status that most of us are...He could have held out, but I love that he had options, and chose to go to Jet Blue...

I think the smartest guys out there are Airbus 331 and KC-10 driver, who decided to make a move BEFORE being furloughed.

On the other hand, if you want to make the same comment about me if I get hired, be my guest...

I think most of us who are now furloughed from US AIRWAYS hope that our dream company calls, but the reality is you just hope and pray that someone does!

I wish them well!!!

I agree, good move on the part of Airbus331 and KC-10.

My post was in reference to Ty Webb leaving the 135 corp world for Airtran. My point is he didn't have many options for breaking into the airline biz after 9/11, so he shouldn't feel like he made such a brilliant move.

Latest resources

Back