Last minute SWA Hiring News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A10puppy

Hi All: Just found out this info in the last few days while I was in DAL for a PC. SWA will hire 400+ this year. 200 or less in the pool should be picked up by mid July. There will be two classes per month of 24 for a total of 48 per month. New hires will be trained in the new “SNORT” procedures, which is a new and improved checklist and operational program SWA is implementing on April 24. That why they won’t have any class until March. There is a new interview system. Two part interview AM/PM, morning is the traditional 3 single interviews (2 Pilots one HR type) 45 min long. Something new is the pilot that checked log books will now also talk to the interviewee for another source of input into the hiring process. The big change is the second part where you will be in a paper trainer as the Captain and given a generic aviation flying related problem. This problem has to be solved with your decision-making skills and CRM. B-737 specific knowledge is not important but what is important is how you make decisions and how you relate to the two other members of this exercise, your Copilot and Dispatcher. Both positions being played by SWA interview pilots. I don’t know if it will be more that one scenario in the paper trainer. But a good example of a possible scenario is a low fuel situation and a divert to an alternate. My guess is that one is gong to be a sure fire scenario for decision making skills and how you use your resources to solve the problem. Hope is info helps those of you that are contemplating a future at SWA. Good Luck

A10,

Many thanks! I'm looking forward to the SWA interview experience (once the phone rings).

JD:cool:

Good Luck JD! A buddy of mine just got called for an interview in the later part of March. The train is finally rolling. When you get an interview date make sure you do one of the phone interview prep call. Their worth every penny! Also bring with you 3 letter of guys that know your flying ability. They don't have to be SWA guys to write those letters. But after the interview get as many SWA pilot letters you can in your file so that they are presented at the decision board. That way the chief pilots from the all the bases will be able to see that their guys want you on the team. Very important! Tell your SWA buddies to write the letters and either have them send them into the People Dept or give the to you to submit. Also next few months there will be a new way to input them directly into our crew management system called Meastro. If you need a list of Military pilots that work for SWA let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

:) Puppy

Puppy,

I can definitely use a list of the mil guys. It seems many folks separate from the AF, and you never hear where they ended up. I'm now at the point where most who knew me well have made the mil/civ transition and moved on.

I 'm glad to see the train has left the station. I was going to apply while deployed in 'early '02, but the requirement for a type rating came back in. I managed to the type training in last summer between several "Arabian Vacations," and got an app in when the on-line system came up. I'm really looking forward to the chance to interview someday. I really enjoyed the "open house" at the company headquarters last January. I met lots of great, positive folks who are fired up in supporting each other. A class act all the way around.

JD:cool:

old LOR's?

WhartHog Puppy,

I'm LUVin' this good news from you guys at SWA. Thanks for sharing it with us wannabes.
I hope you don't mind if I ask a question of you. You may have an answer for me but if you don't that's OK. My next door neighbor whom is a captain for SWA doesn't know the answer for this question.
I initially applied in August 2002 with 4 fresh LOR's from fellows I've flown with extensively - one whom is a captain with SWA. Are these August 2002 LOR's getting dated as far as the PD is concerned? Should I get these LOR's updated from these fellows for any possible future interview in DAL?
Hopefully, I'll get an opportunity to fly with you someday in the future. Thanks!!!!!!

P3 Tweek
:p

PS. GOOD LUCK JD!
No flight today - back on the CE-S550 road tomorrow for a 3 day trip. LUV to fly - get headaches doing office work. Yippie!:D

I asked that question when I got the call from the PD. I was told the letters that you turned in with your app are fine with the original date on them. They have the copies. If you get new ones either fax them in or bring them to your interview. When the online referral system is operational (March?) your in house friends can follow up their letter that way.

Thanks TexaSWA!

That kind-a narrows it down being directly from PD through you.

All the best to you. I hope to see you, JD, and A10 someday at SWA, God willing.:D

Tweek:p

Addresses

You can get any FAA licenced pilot's address from the FAA website. As long as their ticket is current, it will have the current address.

-LFD

Old LORS?

I spoke to a Captain at the January AirInc seminar about the letters. He said they had all been purged, and he led me to believe that he was one of the developers of the new app system. I even asked twice and he was adamant that all LORs and previous applications had been purged. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name.

If you have the time, I'd get new letters to show up with.

..........and they haven't called me yet.:confused:

best of luck,
Catfish

I had two pilots recently submit LORs on my behalf and I do not have copies of those letters. On Monday, I called a nice young lady in the PD and asked about previously submitted LORs. I do remember her name, but promised not to quote her on flightinfo.

She clearly stated any old LORs from your original app would be pulled for the interviews, and that if a SWA pilot brought a letter into their office, it too would be included in the applicant's file.

She mentioned you can bring more letters to turn in at the interview, but the on-line recs (coming in March) are only for folks after they have been interviewed.

Yahtz

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back