Lasik Eye Surgery

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
?
Can you go back to wearing contacts if your vision deteriorates to the point you need corrective lenses again? my brother did it in Jan of 2000 and sis in law 2005. Both are still good. My concern is later in life...I hate glasses more than contact lenses.

Pre-lasik, my eyes were 20/600. I had 20/20 to about six inches in front of my nose. Post-lasik I have better than 20/15 and 20/20, but 20/400 from my nose to about six inches in front of it.

I got both eyes done, one at a time, for $1800 in Los Angeles, Dr. Joseph Lee. I think they're up to $2500 or so now. I got four opinions, by university docs, long-time lasik docs, and so on, and was most comfortable with Dr. Lee. I choose him before I knew the price.

I did one eye at a time because one can still get a medical with one good eye. If the doc botched the job, that would suck, but it wouldn't be career ending. I waited two weeks then did the other eye.

Doing the surgery, take the happy pill and go sleep for about 5 or more hours. The more you sleep, the less pain you'll experience.

You are trading glasses for glasses... Coke bottles for sunglasses. Older folks might find themselves needing reading glasses immediately instead of in another 1-10 years.

I do get a bit of a starburst at night, if I really concentrate on it I can still seem some of it, but, when one eye was lasiked and the other still behind the glasses, the starburst at night is far far far less than what the scratches and dust on the glasses were producing.

I carry wetting drops in my flight bag and occasionally use them, have yet to actually need them.

Having had to do contrast sensitivity testing for an unrelated reason, I've found that the eyes have a bit of contrast sensitivity lost, most likely due to the lasik. As my life does not depend on picking out a series of dots at 5300 K versus the other dots at 5310 K, I don't notice nor care about any slight losses. I lost much more with a pair of glasses that no matter how many times you clean them, within a few seconds they are dusty again.

It took a month before I stopped constantly reaching for my glasses. It took another month before I stopped poking myself in the nose after a sneeze or other head movement, trying to push up non-existent glasses.

It's nice being sighted.

I just had intra-ocular contact lenses ( http://www.visianinfo.com/ ) done in February.

Prior to surgery I was 20/800 uncorrected so was not a candidate for LASIK.

The procedure took about 10 minutes per eye and cost $3500 per eye! :eek:

Got off the table seeing 20/20 and about 2 weeks post op have stabilized at 20/15 near and distant.

The procedure is completely reversible if need be.

No halos or dry eyes either. :cool:

I just had intra-ocular contact lenses ( http://www.visianinfo.com/ ) done in February.

Prior to surgery I was 20/800 uncorrected so was not a candidate for LASIK.

The procedure took about 10 minutes per eye and cost $3500 per eye! :eek:

Got off the table seeing 20/20 and about 2 weeks post op have stabilized at 20/15 near and distant.

The procedure is completely reversible if need be.

No halos or dry eyes either. :cool:

Fabulous avatar:D

I've just made an appointment at Eye Doctors of Washington (www.edow.com). I've heard all great reviews of them and haven't heard a bad one yet. I have high order aberrations with astigmatism. As such I'm getting the full Wavefront laser but with PRK procedure not Lasik. Do any pilots have experience with this doctor and/or PRK procedures? I understand it takes a longer time to recover; I'm stacking up sick time as we speak and hope to be out no more than 3 weeks when I get it in September.

Latest resources

Back