• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LASER Illumination event....NEW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was in the digital PHL Atis last night. Something about an unautorized lazer illumination event and it had some location information, that I can not remember.

It is a misunderestimation! The rednecks are simply giving it back.

Whereas a hyperintelligent life form travels unimaginable distances to simply shine a flashlight up a redneck's arse, the rednecks is just shinin' them crayzee flying thangs with wunnadem lay-zurrs as payback! Keepin' the rockin' free world safe, one point of sale truckstop tchatchke at a time...

Last edited:
I got lasered (green pulsing) last Nov (2007) on a right base for the loc 27R in phl (just east of the rancocas creek, north of SJ regional and flying W).

We reported it to PHL approach but I never herd anything from the FAA or FBI.

Most likely it was the government shinning the laser at you and are just covering it up! They have been playing around for years with a 747 with a laser on the nose that is supposed to shoot down ballistic missiles headed for the US. Gotta practice tracking something! I guess that day it was you!

Heres a link
http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/abl.htm

With the exception of simple red-light small arms laser sights, military lasers operate on much more powerful (longer) wavelengths than the visual spectrum of red or green lasers. Military lasers use neodynium technology with wavelengths in 4 or more digits and operate beyond the human visual range, whereas the green lasers use a neodydium technology in the 3-digit wavelengths. It wasn't a military laser.

Green lasers are the new rage - where you can buy a red laser from a dollar store or a pet store, a green laser will cost you around $100 and are harder to aquire. It is brighter and has a much farther range, which is why you usually only see green lasers in quality "laser shows". Red just can't cut it, doesn't have the range and dispersal patterns are higher, nor can most red lasers touch an airplane at 30,000 feet. A green laser has a more complicated technology, is a much more efficient laser (although requiring a lot more energy than a red laser, so is debatable), has a tighter dispersal pattern and would have no problem touching an airplane at 30,000 feet.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back