Landings...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cessna_driver2 said:
I remember going home from flight school one christmas on Continental. (Forgot what type of plane) The pilot had the wrong wind correction angle in and at the last minute tried to go opposite wing long and bounced hard. Funny thing is some one of course yelled out on landing, but my buddy had window seat and saw the quick wing change. When we got of the cabin door was still shut so we didn't really say much of anything.

cessna_driver2,

That's too bad the cockpit door was closed when you were exiting the aircraft. I'm sure the flight crew would have appreciated your critique of their landing. They could have learned from YOUR experience. (Please detect my sarcasm)

Last edited:
Single engine short field landings over an obstacle? That's a new one. But the Seminole does like to sink without pwr.

Three CFI's were in a Seminole...bad sign already. Reduced pwr to idle and flared it like a 172. Probably trying to get off at the 500 footers or something. Yes, the gear struts will go through the wings, both of em. The carcass is still sitting around to remind everyone. Some say the stabilator will stall before the wings. Whichever happened, it was a very short field landing.

I have a couple that stick out in my mind.

Upon walk around of the 172 i was supposed to fly i noticed the nose gear strut shock fully collapsed and the scissors looked like a stack of pancakes so we had a mx guy replace the o ring and recharge the air-oil "charge." Everything looked great so off we went to return home. Upon landing, well trying to land, at GPM i couldn't pull the nose up far enough to get the mains to touch before porposing back into the air. After about 7 or 8 bounces and just before it was time to add power to figure something else out i got the nose to come up enough to make a three point landing. During the taxi to the ramp my buddy and i joked about how i had just become current for the next 3 months with that one "landing," and we couldn't figure out why for the life of us we were still looking up in the air and having to taxi like a tail dragger from side to side so that we could see where we were going. So to make a long story short, it turns out that upon rotating for takeoff the now highly charged nose strut had fully extended causing our little problem, and of course there was no way to know until attempting to land.

Second story does not involve me, but i did see it happen. While instructing in Dallas a severe line of storms rolled in very fast causing my student and i to have to divert our landing to Lancaster. Upon landing, a few more aircraft joined us on the ground, all rejects from this storm. Just as the winds began to pick up from the approaching storm, a King Air 200 crossed the thresh hold well above normal height for the short (i believe it is 4000 long) runway with those now gusting tail winds pushing it. This plane touched down past mid point of the runway and immediately went to reverse with a continually thickening grey smoke coming from the wheels. It seemed like they werent going to stop, and everyone watching was silent with a stare that is hard to describe. There was one guy that worked at the FBO who already had the door of his truck open thinking that he was going to witness an accident and was about to speed off and try to help. Another person was picking up the phone to call for emergency help at the same time. So to make another long story short, the plane stopped with just enough room to make a turn off the runway, and upon doing so it sat there for 10 or so minutes. When it slowly came limping up the taxiway to the ramp we all were anxious to meet the guys who had somehow saved that plane. We found out that they had blown one of the mains, and that a second had began deflating after they had pulled off the runway. The f/o said he got out after they cleared and noticed a very distinct burning smell and noticed the flap tire and the deflating tire smoldering, and the brakes were glowing they were used so much. That would explain the thickening grey smoke we saw the further they travelled down the runway. These guys did an amazing job to save that plane and its passengers, one of whom was the owner.

Sorry the above is so long... but hey, i am a pilot, and i can talk about this for hours... you guys just got the short, well kind of, versions.

I'm pretty sure this is urban legend, maybe someone can verify or disclaim it. Either way I got a kick out of it.

Apparently the DO328Jet does not have reversers, as an alternative heavy duty brakes where installed (again, this is what I hear, correct me if I'm wrong). A new F/O and a complacent captain where flying into XYZ airport when the tower issued a LAHSO. Captain accepted. F/O made a good landing.

Brakes were applied.

200' later the smoke cleared and the airplane exited the runway. Both pilots had a bump on their forehead where the panel reached out and tapped them upon landing. Seems those heavy duty brakes where not on the F/O's mind when he applied them.

Again, probably not true, but I laugh everytime I think about those two guys.

Latest resources

Back