• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Landings...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The worst ever would have to be when I was getting my multi rating. The instructor had me doing short field landings over the hypothetical 50' obstical on the threshhold and one engine "failed" . I learned that the Seminole will develop a fairly healthy sink rate in that situation. If the instructor hadn't pushed the throttles up, I am sure the struts would have come through the wings. Aside from the bottomed out struts, we couldn't find any damage, but my back was sore the next morning. When I was getting my tailwheel, there were some scary moments, but none like that one.

I remember landing a 55 in FXE one night, I think we were positioning the plane for the next day or it was going in for some interior work. Anyway...I kid you not...I landed...popped the T/R's...Well, I guess one of the cabinets, just behind the cockpit was not locked. Next thing I know as I am applying the brakes, a beer flies into the cockpit, hits the center console and ends up (unbroken) in my lap. That was the best.

And....Anyone that has flown the Westwind has probably dropped the masks on a real ugly landing atleast once.

I remember rotating in a 35 I think it was and the instrument panel basically fell into my knees. Oops.

I remember landing at night with a steeply downsloping runway and THUNK! Embarrassing but not as bad as what I'd heard. One time years ago when I was a student I porpoised a good ways but then pulled back the stick and the porpoise stopped. We all have had landings that we are not proud of.

My friend Bill was telling me he was a passenger on a major airline (no names--I don't want to embarrass the innocent!) that landed so hard that his back hurt and he had to go to the chiropractor the next day. YOUCH!!

kilomike

Airliners... Don't get me started

You know you hear all those classic quotes on the net about what the FAs say. Well I actually heard one:

This is many years about (I was about ten or so), I was flying to San Jose (layover, of all places) in a 727 or a MD-80 series aircraft. During the landing we just slammed on to the runway. You know how the FAs come up and ramble after landing, well this one started out "We have just bombed San Jose, the time is..."

Those were the days flying every month going one parent to another, spending hours at the windows staring at planes, or a wing. I wonder why I started flying...

focus

This Feb . . . 30G35, ninety degree cross with LLWS on short final reported by the FALCON who just landed ahead of me; I'm in an Arrow. I'm crabbing about 45 degrees, carrying extra airspeed of course. Actually made a pretty good landing which surprised me under the conditions. It's amazing how one can focus and perform when you really have to. My worst landings were under good conditions when I just wasn't dialed in as much. A lesson there to be sure.

I slammed one on pretty good in SDF the other day. Winds were about thirty degrees off the right and gusting twenty five to thirty knots. It was a pretty uneventful visual to 17L followed by the worst bone-jarring impact I've felt in a while. I played it off as a "required weekly landing gear structural integrity test" The FA didn't quite buy that one!!:eek:

I remember going home from flight school one christmas on Continental. (Forgot what type of plane) The pilot had the wrong wind correction angle in and at the last minute tried to go opposite wing long and bounced hard. Funny thing is some one of course yelled out on landing, but my buddy had window seat and saw the quick wing change. When we got of the cabin door was still shut so we didn't really say much of anything.

Student Pilot Landings

I know not nearly as traumatic as some of the situations that have been described, but to a student pilot...anything out of the ordinary is SCARY. By the way, I am now instrument rated and halfway through my commercial.

I was on my first supervised solo and in the pattern with another student on his first. This other student spoke english as a second language and had difficulty understanding. We are both in Pipers and there is a Mooney also in the pattern. The Mooney pilot very experienced instructor on a joyride IIRC. This other student landed on the runway. While being instructed to turn off on next taxiway he got confused. He missed the next taxiway and decided he should stop. Dont ask me why. Meanwhile, the Mooney is on semi-short final and lil-ol-me second time around the pattern on my own. The tower most patiently pleads with the student on the runway, but gets louder only to raise the students stress and confusion level....He is now full stop on the runway....just sitting there. The tower instructs the mooney to go around. As time goes by (seems like hours) this student still sitting on the runway. (The instructor listening on a handheld is currently running down the 2 mile long runway to help). My instructor is ever so patiently waiting at the end of the runway with his handheld (probably somewhat amused). At this time, the Tower now yelling at the student to Get OFF MY RUNWAY.... and instructin me now on extremely short final to go around. I know not as interesting as some stories above, but my little drama ended with a go around. It was a fun and interesting story to tell my friends...but I will never forget my first solo, lol.

Latest resources

Back