• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Landing on Ice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So I want to land my 152 on a frozen lake. I've breezed through the FAR's and I can't find anything stating whether it is or is not legal to land an aircraft on a frozen lake. I know they do it in Minnesota and Canada (among other places) but I'd like to see it in writing before heading out to plow a runway on the ice. I'll put up a sign so the fishermen don't set up on the improved surface.

Thanks!

Shy

You're probably fine until you break through the ice and then the FAA will come after you.

So I want to land my 152 on a frozen lake. I've breezed through the FAR's and I can't find anything stating whether it is or is not legal to land an aircraft on a frozen lake. I know they do it in Minnesota and Canada (among other places) but I'd like to see it in writing before heading out to plow a runway on the ice. I'll put up a sign so the fishermen don't set up on the improved surface.

Thanks!

Shy
No different than landing on a moving treadmill....

Pilots Land On Lake Calhoun, Grab A Bite To Eat

images_sizedimage_103171813.jpg
Reporting
Esme Murphy
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) ―
calhounplanes.jpg
Click to enlarge 1 of 1
Ordinance PB 2.31 states that airplanes are prohibited on park property. (File) Brian A. Williams

Close
ico016x014close_modal.gif

numSlides of totalImages

Related Links

Two airplanes landed safely on Lake Calhoun, however such a landing is a violation of the Park and Recreation Department's ordinance.

Just after noon Monday, two small, older-model planes landed on the north end of the lake. The pilots hopped out and later told people they wanted to get a hamburger at the lakeside restaurant Burger Jones.

When they returned they were greeted by Minneapolis Park Police, who told the pilots it was against the law to land on a city lake. Ordinance PB 2.31 states that airplanes are prohibited on park property.

Police identified the pilots as Michael Doherty of Le Sueur, Minn. and Hans Meyer of Burnsville, Minn. The men told police they were prepared to take off immediately.

"Pretty much the direction the planes are down to the far end of the lake, and we'll turn around, we'll do a run-up, we'll check our engine systems and then we're going to just take off straight into the wind," said one man.

One of the aircrafts is described as a Champion 7FC fixed wing single-engine airplane. The plane is registered under Ascension Flyers, Inc. of Stillwater. The other was described as an Aeronca 7AC, which was registered to an address in Le Sueur.

The pilots received citations for the illegal landing and the Federal Aviation Administration was called. The FAA inspected the planes and the pilots' licenses to make sure they could take off.

Police said the fine associated with each ticket could be up to $1,000.

A passenger was not cited for the landing.

On other lakes outside of Minneapolis such as Lake Minnetonka, similar landings are legal and more common.

And this is in the regional section because?

Didnt you hear? Mesa is exiting bk with new utilization of their aircraft in frozen pond ops! Ice fisherman pay bottom dollar to get to those muskie lakes and mesa is happy to open a station starting meow!

Latest resources

Back