Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShyFlyGuy

Major Member
So I want to land my 152 on a frozen lake. I've breezed through the FAR's and I can't find anything stating whether it is or is not legal to land an aircraft on a frozen lake. I know they do it in Minnesota and Canada (among other places) but I'd like to see it in writing before heading out to plow a runway on the ice. I'll put up a sign so the fishermen don't set up on the improved surface.

Thanks!

Shy

So I want to land my 152 on a frozen lake. I've breezed through the FAR's and I can't find anything stating whether it is or is not legal to land an aircraft on a frozen lake. I know they do it in Minnesota and Canada (among other places) but I'd like to see it in writing before heading out to plow a runway on the ice. I'll put up a sign so the fishermen don't set up on the improved surface.

Thanks!

Shy

You know it's funny you bring this up. I flew with an aviation attorney in his Ercoupe and we did exactly that. But we didn't need any runway we just did touch and goes on a number of lakes in the Metro area. Course it was pretty snowless. If you had ski's you could go anywhere.

Now this issue is - What may be legal in the FAR's may not be covered by Insurance. Break something and you're hosed.

Another guy I know used to land his Champ on sand beaches and bars on the rivers and stuff around here too. I say have fun just don't break anything. Night

Yep-

I would read the insurance policy VERY carefully. I would bet there is an exclusion of some sort against this-(but, who cares as long as nothing happens?.)

I doubt the FAA would have any problem with it-unless anything happens. I don't know of any specific FAR this could violate. Just remember-your brakes will do no good, and you have no constant-speed prop, so you may slip and slide for a while. Just shut her down once you land, and you should be fine.

-Cheers!

Might be worth looking into Seaplane regulations. Some states don't allow operations on lakes with floats but that may only be due to invasive species being transfered from lake to lake on floats. Not sure about skis or wheels on frozen lakes.

you can land on roads in a lot of states. Why not lakes... I would never do it though. Risk to high for me.

And this is in the regional section because?

I'm a "retired" Captain from the regionals and this particular section of FI has the greatest concentration of know-it-all's. Besides, the knowledge I gain from this experiment could benefit anyone flying in the northeast this winter.

Shy

Latest resources

Back