Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PimpJuice

Pete Schwetty
This plane interests me for many reasons. Could some people comment on the actual flying qualities of the plane. Also, there's now way I'll ever have the time or the skill to build one. Is it better to have one built by a professional to my specs or to buy one already made? I know the insurance is a killer but is that true for a high time pilot with lots of jet experience? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Send me a Pm and I will answer all of you question about any or all of your lancair questions.

V1

Guys, unless it's inappropriate, I'm sure there are others who'd like to "listen in." I know I would.

Sorry..didn't want to omit anyone....
Gorrilla if you have any ? I will gladley answer them for you...

V1

I would too. I just fly in one this last week. A guy I don't know gave me alot of info. But I would love to hear more about it. I would love to build one on my own.

I fly a straight Lancair IV and its a blast. There are lots on the market, usually around $250,000, but can go a lot higher. If you have the cash and don't have the time to build one, there are some nice ones out there.

Insurance is a bitch, mine requires "manufacturer approved flight and ground training" and recurrent training (I am an airline captain with around 5000 hours, but started with 0 time in Lancair's) There is only one outfit that I have found that meets those requirements, but the training was good and the CFI was cool, although expensive.

As far as actually flying the thing, you pretty much have to fly it like you would a jet...1500 ft patterns, on your airspeeds, etc. This plane has a regular green operating area, then if anything happens, its straight to the red emergency, not really any yellow area. But its hard to beat trueing out at 235kts burning 15 gph.

I fly a straight Lancair IV and its a blast. There are lots on the market, usually around $250,000, but can go a lot higher. If you have the cash and don't have the time to build one, there are some nice ones out there.

Insurance is a bitch, mine requires "manufacturer approved flight and ground training" and recurrent training (I am an airline captain with around 5000 hours, but started with 0 time in Lancair's) There is only one outfit that I have found that meets those requirements, but the training was good and the CFI was cool, although expensive.

As far as actually flying the thing, you pretty much have to fly it like you would a jet...1500 ft patterns, on your airspeeds, etc. This plane has a regular green operating area, then if anything happens, its straight to the red emergency, not really any yellow area. But its hard to beat trueing out at 235kts burning 15 gph.

Did you build yours or purchase it from the builder?

I've always been intrigued by the Lancair IV/P. I've got a couple of friends with -320's who really love them. In the back of my mind I'm thinking that if the money situation works out and my Company stays in business long enough for me to be financially secure, I'd like to buy or build a IV/P.

As you suggest, I've seen prices from the lower $200's to in excess of $500K. The kit is around $100 +/- depending on options selected. I have friends who've built and flown the various flavors of RV's. They wind up spending between $80 and $100K. Van's kits cost around $17-$20K +/-.

What can a person expect to have into a IV/P if he's building it himself. I realize the big, twin-turbo engine will be substantially more than the typical Van's IO-360, but avionics will be similar to include some flavor of EFIS, auto-pilot, etc. Does it really cost in excess of $200K to build a IV/P or are the guys who are selling for 300K + just making a profit?

The speeds and overall performance would be fantastic. Sorta like having my own personal turbo-prop, but without the huge expense. If you don't mind, could you share some numbers re: insurance cost? $250K hull. $350K hull, etc. I'm the typical airline pilot. By the time I can afford a IV/P, I'll have in excess of 10,000TT and all the expected ratings.

Thanks for your willingness to share.

Latest resources

Back