Lancair 320

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psysicx

Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about this aircraft? Looking for a good XC bird. There seems to be current projects for sale that are a good price.

I know a dealer who sells factory built. He's been promising me a ride as I am working on selling him a second one. Sadly, like with my wife, our schedule aren't compatable. What I know of the factory built is great economy, great speed, great range (even with PAX). Up front cost is the only thing keeping people away ($350k-700k)

$0.02

Tonala2k said:
I know a dealer who sells factory built. He's been promising me a ride as I am working on selling him a second one. Sadly, like with my wife, our schedule aren't compatable. What I know of the factory built is great economy, great speed, great range (even with PAX). Up front cost is the only thing keeping people away ($350k-700k)

$0.02

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the IV and IV-P? The 320 looks like a great airplane, though being from Washington State I'd get a Glasair II or III over the 320 :cool: . Not that I'd ever have the money though :D .

I had a Lancair 320 with the 205hp IO-360 engine. I had it for about 2 years. Fun, fast airplane. However, the older lancairs such as mine were built with too small of a tail. The airplane was VERY unstable. You can find several articles about its severe negative stability. It was also a bit difficult to land due to this reason.

Over all, if you are a half way descent stick you can handle it. Ive seen alot of Lancair 320's go from owner to owner because too many pilots have scared themselves in the airplane.

PM me if ya got any questions...

A friend of mine was killed in a Lancair 360 while doing touch and goes for practice. I've read about the instability and would personally stay away from Lancair products. Yes, I am biased in my opinion.

MM

Lancair manufactures a supior kit in all aspects. Haveing flown all make and model from the 320 the Turbine IV for many hours the 320 is good bang for the buck. fast, economical and a blast to hand fly. As for the negative stabilty...it is positivly stable, just alot weaker then the a pilot that comes from a Certified Part 23 aicraft. They ARE a cat of a different color, and do require more dilegence and vigilance to fly them. Statistaclly speaking most of the accidents in Lancair are from illinformed and not properly trained pilot who have no idea about the aircraft and how the speed and handling chacteristcs are derived. You don't get something something for nothing, its all a trade off. Which is why the aircraft is in the experimental category. The previous posts about negative stability is an absolute farce...stability is a sliding scale from negative to positve and vice versa. A Neg stabil aircraft is nearly impossible to fly, ie the F117 or the B2. All Lancair's are positvly stable, if you look at lancair's website under support there is the ability to gain insureance, and flight training through them...just look under support.

PM if you have any Questions
Closly affiliated with the factory
V1:D

I respecfully disagree about positive stability.

Although Lance, the previous owner and designer of the Lancair 320/360 will disagree, he redesigned the tail in later 320/360 models to relieve the aircraft of the inherent stability problems (see this article) http://www.eaa1000.av.org/fltrpts/lanc360/hq.htm

I too had one for a couple of years and found it the most challenging bird I flew. I put 200 hours on her and learned to love flying this fast and very unstable beast. When it came time to sell her I had a heck of a time because everyone who came to see her couldn't even handle a takeoff in her. In all justice though all of the buyers were well off privates with mooney or bonanza time and considered themselves a cut above the rest. Scared the hell out of most of them. I agree with cherrybomb, this airplane as tested is Neutral to negative stability at best. Also go to the NTSB accident site and query this aircraft....you won't be impressed...sure do miss her though

I considered a Legacy a short while back. After running a practice weight and balance, discovered that I could only fit myself and a 25 lb bag with full fuel. No passenger.

Perhaps the 320/360 has better useful load, due to a lighter airframe/engine.

I have started building a Glasair instead.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back