Lamest PA phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CatYaaak said:
First of all, the place where the pilot(s) sit and fly the airplane is a cockpit, not a "flight deck". It wasn't called a "flight deck" in your 152, or T-38, or whatever you learned to fly in. It wasn't a "flight deck" tooling around in your Baron or Hornet...it was a cockpit then too. It doesn't magically become a flight deck instead of a cockpit just because now you're at an airline talking about it through a PA to some passengers. Does a Challenger have a "cockpit", vs. a CRJ's "flight deck"? Do you think that FDR stands for "Flight Deck Recorder", and if so, what does CVR stand for? Saying "flight deck" with a straight face is not unlike using the moniker "sanitation engineer" to describe the garbageman and seriously meaning it. The only "flight deck" I can think of is topside on an aircraft carrier where Naval aviators land their aircraft whilst they sit in their cockpits.

Why is it lame?, because it sounds like you're desperately trying to impress your audience by trying to make it sound like you're on the bridge of a ship, at the helm, a la' Capt Kirk/Picard.

And the "sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight" phrase is THE most overused PA phrase in the sky, and now is simply just an indicator that you don't know what the he11 else to say. Better to say nothing, because this phrase is so overused that it's become a parody of itself. It's lame if you actually believe people take your advice.

for the same reason we call f/a's, f/a's and not stewardesses. flight deck sounds better anyways, and no one but apparantly you cares. since its so boring why dont we just stop thanking people for flying too :(

I always assumed it was changed to flight deck because cockpit had a naughty sounding word in it.

Kind of like Uranus or harrass, which now gets pronounced yur-ah-nuss and hair-ess.

First of all, the place where the pilot(s) sit and fly the airplane is a cockpit, not a "flight deck
Just had a look in the Boeing manual, and everything is referd to "Flight Deck" (like flight deck door, flight deck lighting, flight deck Seats, flight deck Overhead Hatch etc.). Guess if you fly a Boeing then you sit on a flight deck...

I've made a personal decision to begin using the word "stewardess" at every opportunity. It just sounds classy.

Of course, when I begin my obsequious groveling for airline employment, I'll change my tune.

In the mean time, they're stewardesses. (but never just "stews")

I'll let you know how it goes...

UPSer said:
What's a PA announcement? I've never done one.
You mean you don't talk to the boxes and tell them when they are going to get there? :D

Kathy

How about, "We appreciate your patience." Do they really have any choice? They're trapped in a metal tube with no way out and are probably not feeling very patient anyway.

A few days ago, my father asked me, "Do the sky hostesses ever come up to the cockpit"?

I dare anyone to call them that!

apdsm said:
A few days ago, my father asked me, "Do the sky hostesses ever come up to the cockpit"? I dare anyone to call them that!
Better yet, try the Al Bundy thing: "Waitress! Waitress!" :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back