• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lamest PA phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Obviously, you think it's self evident, but why don't you explain why saying these two things are lame? I hear them and say them all the time, and nobody has ever said a word to me. What makes you more knowledgeable than them? Please explain your opinion.

My biggest pet peeve PA is a popular one with FAs.

"We hope you enjoy your stay in Chicago or wherever your final destination may take you! "

LAXSaabdude.

LAXSaabdude said:

"We hope you enjoy your stay in Chicago or wherever your final destination may take you! "

LAXSaabdude.

Yeah! That always grates on me! I had a dead heading f/a ask me one time why I said "or wherever you fianl destination may be", and it took me 15 minutes to explain to her why it made more sense than "where your final destination may take you" (She was never considered the brightest tool in the shed though!)

:)

Here's my PA pet-peeve: "place your cellphones in the 'off' position."

What's wrong with just saying "turn your cellphones off?" :rolleyes:

TWA Dude said:
"Flight Attendants prepare for arrival and cross-check."

There is a reason for this statement. We are required to check that our doors have been disarmed so there is no slide deployment. I cannot tell you how many slides have been deployed by people who are tired and not paying attention. On the 757, we have an "all door call" procedure, where every FA has to get on the interphone to confirm their doors have been disarmed and also when we close the door to depart, to make sure that all doors are armed.

I will never forget years ago when I was non-reving back from SAN. The Captain did the 10,000 "ding" cycling the no-smoking sign and the FA in the back was disarming her slides "prior" to landing. I asked her WHY she was doing this. Her response? "It just gets so hectic on the ground". I about died.

LAXSaabdude said:

LAXSaabdude.

One of my pet peeves also. Destinations do not "take" you anywhere...

skydiverdriver said:
Obviously, you think it's self evident, but why don't you explain why saying these two things are lame? I hear them and say them all the time, and nobody has ever said a word to me. What makes you more knowledgeable than them? Please explain your opinion.

First of all, the place where the pilot(s) sit and fly the airplane is a cockpit, not a "flight deck". It wasn't called a "flight deck" in your 152, or T-38, or whatever you learned to fly in. It wasn't a "flight deck" tooling around in your Baron or Hornet...it was a cockpit then too. It doesn't magically become a flight deck instead of a cockpit just because now you're at an airline talking about it through a PA to some passengers. Does a Challenger have a "cockpit", vs. a CRJ's "flight deck"? Do you think that FDR stands for "Flight Deck Recorder", and if so, what does CVR stand for? Saying "flight deck" with a straight face is not unlike using the moniker "sanitation engineer" to describe the garbageman and seriously meaning it. The only "flight deck" I can think of is topside on an aircraft carrier where Naval aviators land their aircraft whilst they sit in their cockpits.

Why is it lame?, because it sounds like you're desperately trying to impress your audience by trying to make it sound like you're on the bridge of a ship, at the helm, a la' Capt Kirk/Picard.

And the "sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight" phrase is THE most overused PA phrase in the sky, and now is simply just an indicator that you don't know what the he11 else to say. Better to say nothing, because this phrase is so overused that it's become a parody of itself. It's lame if you actually believe people take your advice.

You are all wasting ENTIRELY too much time on this. Don't you realize that THEY ARE NOT LISTENING!!!!!!!

Since you brought it up tho'....

The phrase, "At this time" makes me crazy!!! I am turning on the seatbelt sign 'at this time'.

Ok, well, here's another. Flight time will be approximately 1:57 minutes. Geez, if it's approximate then just say 2 hours!

Why do people get so goofy when PA-ing?

:D

Ridiculous PA's are the ones that come every 30 minutes, on a 4 hour flight, just to tell you that Evansville is out the right window or that we have 2 hours and 15 minutes left, etc. All this stuff does is wake up someone who could care less or who will be mad..such as a baby.
I usually just give a quick PA..and never before 9 am or after 9 pm... and tell them a quick "welcome aboard" and the ETA. Anything beyond that and I fall into the same category as Charile Brown's teacher.

At Eagle, we have so many PA's that are on a CD and required to be played by the FA. It takes at least 3 minutes of continuous PA's during taxi. That stuff is really ridiculous (telling someone how to fasten a seatbelt???) and nobdody listens.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back