• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lack of professionalism (an example)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't believe it hasn't been written yet...so here goes....

"I'll act/dress/look like a professional when they start paying me like a professional."

It's a vicious cycle, but frankly we're on the losing end of it.. if you can afford to subsidize your career thru CFI work and the costs of getting a job and crap wages that come with it, you aught be able to keep 2-3 pair of pants, a jacket or two and 7 or 8 shirts at the ready for work. I've seen mall security guards look better than some "Airline Pilots"..

Some of you who things we are pompous are part of the problem, not the solution.

My quoted comment was TIC. It's a favorite line around here by people who don't take pride in their appearance.

My Grandfather many years ago when I was a little kid told me you can tell how much pride a pilot has in his profession by looking at his shoes. I didn't know what he was talking about at the time, but almost 30 years later, I still remember that conversation, and think about it everytime I put my uniform on. Of course, my Grandfather came from the era where you dressed in a jacket and hat as a passenger.

I know it's not entirely true (see AceyFO's post), but the point he was trying to get across was that people are watching, and they are judging us on our outward appearances. My shoes at the end of a 4-day may look like they were dragged behind a car after kicking rudder pedals for 15 legs, walking through snow and rain, but I now understand his point. Take some pride in your appearance.

hehe :nuts: This thread is full of some of the most pompous, egotistical asses I've ever read. :laugh:

hahaha so true. "Come meet me in the terminal I'm a bad ass Army guy and I'll kick your a$$ if your uniform is not pressed!"

To answer AceyFO: Yes, all of that makes you unprofessional! There is more to being a professional than your stick and rudder skills.

No one can be perfect 100% of the time. But if you blow it off and accept it because its someone else's fault(9 hr overnight), then perhaps you need to take a step back and reevaluate your concept of professionalism.

I can't believe it hasn't been written here yet, but, here it goes,....

....Mesa sucks.

I agree with you, all but the part about the Army colors on your lanyard. :) (Go Navy!) The reason I never went military was there were no pilot slots when I got out of school and I thought I'd have a better career through the civilian ranks. Because of this, I am grateful that the airlines hire from the civilian community, but the thought has dawned on me lately that maybe they need to hire predominantly from the military again.

Best damn football game on each year is the Army v. Navy game and ya know who I pull for!!
I have had a great time over the years flying with all sorts of pilots with wide or diverse flying backgrounds. Makes for great conversation on a trip of four to five days.
At least with the military the initial training and follow-on courses were a common thread and a known variable. I don't have to talk about the uniform wearing issue within those ranks.
I only hope that the folks that are wearing crappy uniforms and not even acting like a mature person get the picture. I don't know how every company handles uniform replacement (i.e. $400.00 per year uniform allowance), but for some pilots there is no excuse for not having serviceable uniforms.

When I saw the topic of this thread, I was thinking of someone wearing their pants down at their knees, or swearing in public or some other crazy action. I didn't think it would be some petty thing like this.

It's not petty. It's about our perception in the eye of the traveling public. The OP said there were several negative comments from people around him in the terminal about the newspapers in the cockpit. I'm sure they weren't impressed with the professionalism that this crew demonstrated. That said, we all know that newspapers/magazines are in the cockpit on a regular basis...just keep that crap out of sight of the passengers.

Different time, different Shuttle America...

That was like 2004. I remember 2004 like yesterday. Did they turnover their entire workforce inside 5 years?

Latest resources

Back