• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

L-39 goes down in TIX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There was a somewhat similar accident at HEF in the 90's. Big airshow, local pilot went into a hammerhead with his Sukhoi (sp?) at show center with almost enough energy. Reversal at the top, stalled at the bottom and killed himself in front of thousands.

The similarities don't end there. The guy was a local dentist. He had bought the airplane about a year before and had just recently been signed off for acro below the 1500 foot floor. By all accounts he was a very good pilot-all the way up until the time he went into a hammerhead with insufficient energy and no altitude margin.

I don't fly acro so I guess I can't speak to the skill of these men. I'll tell ya this, though. If I'm gonna get my teeth worked on, it will not be by a professional pilot who by all accounts is a very good amateur dentist. If I'm going to court I don't want to be represented by a professional pilot who is by all accounts a very good amateur lawyer. Airshow acrobatics should be left to professionals, as should dentistry and law.

$0.02

uh... what?

I'll tell ya this, though. If I'm gonna get my teeth worked on, it will not be by a professional pilot who by all accounts is a very good amateur dentist. If I'm going to court I don't want to be represented by a professional pilot who is by all accounts a very good amateur lawyer. Airshow acrobatics should be left to professionals, as should dentistry and law.

Define "Professional"

Is Julie Clark not a professional because her day job is something other than airshow performer?

Not to defend the guy, just making some observations, but he apparently does claim 7000+ hours. And he does have an ATP and a couple of types (citations and beech/mu) I'd say this takes him out of the category of 300 hr lawyer weekend warrior.

A couple of observations in no particular order:

The linked article says he is 58 yo, his myspace profile says he is 48. Journalistic error (we know those rarely happen) or lying on his myspace to appear younger? Or maybe he just hasn't updated the profile in 10 years ... if he is/was 48, that would have made his 1973 graduation from EmbryRiddle with a BS rather notable because he would have been 14, and 18 when he graduated Law School.

his myspace page says: "Eilon started flying in Israel at age 15. He was originally trained by the Israeli Air Force" then no further mention of military flying. WHat's up with that? He seems like the kind of guy who if he had completed military pilot training he would have said a little more about his military flying career. Did he wash out of UPT? Does "trained by the israeli airforce" really mean that as a 15 y/o junior air cadet he soloed a glider in the israeli equivalent of the CAP? (Nothing wrong with CAP cadet glider program, I'm just saying it's it's not quite the same as "trained by the Air Force") I see a couple of other news articles describing him as a "former israeli fighter pilot" Hmmm, have they confirmed that, or are they being suckered into an unwarrented assumption by his myspace page? I'd bet long odds that he was not an Israeli fighter pilot, but I've been wrong before.

From the article:

Krugman-Kadi crashed seconds after coming out of a cloud.

If that's accurate, that might be a pretty big contributing factor, low level loops in IMC.

According to the FAA's incident and accident webpage the Wx was:
METAR KTIX 161850Z 26024KT 7SM SCT030 BKN100 24/ A2981

I guess if one of those scattered clouds was scattered in the wrong place, it could ruin your day.

Define "Professional"

Is Julie Clark not a professional because her day job is something other than airshow performer?

Not to defend the guy, just making some observations, but he apparently does claim 7000+ hours. And he does have an ATP and a couple of types (citations and beech/mu) I'd say this takes him out of the category of 300 hr lawyer weekend warrior.

A couple of observations in no particular order:

The linked article says he is 58 yo, his myspace profile says he is 48. Journalistic error (we know those rarely happen) or lying on his myspace to appear younger? Or maybe he just hasn't updated the profile in 10 years ... if he is/was 48, that would have made his 1973 graduation from EmbryRiddle with a BS rather notable because he would have been 14, and 18 when he graduated Law School.

his myspace page says: "Eilon started flying in Israel at age 15. He was originally trained by the Israeli Air Force" then no further mention of military flying. WHat's up with that? He seems like the kind of guy who if he had completed military pilot training he would have said a little more about his military flying career. Did he wash out of UPT? Does "trained by the israeli airforce" really mean that as a 15 y/o junior air cadet he soloed a glider in the israeli equivalent of the CAP? (Nothing wrong with CAP cadet glider program, I'm just saying it's it's not quite the same as "trained by the Air Force") I see a couple of other news articles describing him as a "former israeli fighter pilot" Hmmm, have they confirmed that, or are they being suckered into an unwarrented assumption by his myspace page? I'd bet long odds that he was not an Israeli fighter pilot, but I've been wrong before.

From the article:

Krugman-Kadi crashed seconds after coming out of a cloud.

If that's accurate, that might be a pretty big contributing factor, low level loops in IMC.

According to the FAA's incident and accident webpage the Wx was:
METAR KTIX 161850Z 26024KT 7SM SCT030 BKN100 24/ A2981

I guess if one of those scattered clouds was scattered in the wrong place, it could ruin your day.

Good points. I seemed to get the drift from the media that he was an IAF pilot. Do you have a link to his myspace page?

Good points. I seemed to get the drift from the media that he was an IAF pilot.

My suspicion is that he welcomed that misunderstanding. However you look at the his profile, it makes no mention of being an IAF pilot. just:

"He was originally trained by the Israeli Air Force and later attended Embry Riddle Aeronautical University."

He was at Riddle from 1970 to 1973, so we'd have to believe that between High school (of the Israeli equivelant) and 20 y/o he bacame a fighter pilot (without a degree), left the IAF and enrolled in ERAU. Maybe that's realistic in Israel, perhaps the IAF takes teenagers with no degree and makes then fighter pilots for a couple of years and then lets them go on with no commitment. It wouldn't happen in the US. Maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, but it seems pretty unlikely to me.

Somehow, I think that given the tone of his page, if he'd flown an F-15 (A-4 F-4, Mirage, whatever) in the IAF, he's state that in big bold letters.

Do you have a link to his myspace page?

Here's that comes up when you search for his name on myspace. This is where I noticed the age. It has a link to his profile which has the rest of his narrative:

http://search.myspace.com/index.cfm...gman-Kadi&Submit=Find&SearchBoxID=FindAFriend

My suspicion is that he welcomed that misunderstanding. However you look at the his profile, it makes no mention of being an IAF pilot.
Yeah, he like to call his show Ace Fighter Jet.
He was at Riddle from 1970 to 1973, so we'd have to believe that between High school (of the Israeli equivelant) and 20 y/o he bacame a fighter pilot (without a degree), left the IAF and enrolled in ERAU. Maybe that's realistic in Israel, perhaps the IAF takes teenagers with no degree and makes then fighter pilots for a couple of years and then lets them go on with no commitment. It wouldn't happen in the US. Maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, but it seems pretty unlikely to me.
From what I have been told, becoming an IAF pilot is more of a life-long contribution to the country. One of our co-pilots is ex-IAF (non-pilot). I will ask her about the process next time I see her.

Somehow, I think that given the tone of his page, if he'd flown an F-15 (A-4 F-4, Mirage, whatever) in the IAF, he's state that in big bold letters.
Yeppers. I would too!

Here's that comes up when you search for his name on myspace. This is where I noticed the age. It has a link to his profile which has the rest of his narrative:

http://search.myspace.com/index.cfm?...ID=FindAFriend
Thanks. I am not sure why I had so much trouble finding that.

Did you notice that half of his panel remained in the Eastern configuration? What a human factors nightmare! Obviously he was not initially trained in the US or Israel on these types of indications. This brings the question:

Was this guy ever formerly trained for instrument flying on a Russian panel?

and,

When he came out of the cloud, did he refer to those Russian indications to attempt to correct his attitude?

In addition, most panels I have seen for a Western L-39 have had a full panel conversion for pilot transition.

Last edited:
Joyride...that's not a joyride. Now THIS is a joyride!!

What was he doing in the cloud? You still have to obey the VFR minimums during the airshow. They don't waiver weather minimums for airshows. Worst case scenario its one mile and clear of clouds, right?

Art Scholl was a professional.

Latest resources

Back