Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WalterSobchak

Am I wrong?
After working with a big chunk of our "ASA CRJ2 Fiasco Coverage" flights in ATL today...just want to pass along a little kudos to our compadres at Acey. I know this thunderstorm mess is the norm for you guys...I had almost forgotten just how mentally exhausting summer storm season can be.

Considering the fact that my brain has been wrapped around winter ops for the last 6 months...I realized today that it's gonna be fun getting back into "Summer TSRA Mode".

How are things coming along with getting the CRJ2's back online after inspections?

I know it has been brutal in the Southeast lately. My old stomping grounds are flooded.

It's been kind of unusual here, too.

OMDB 031800Z 31017KT 9999 -RA FEW040CB 21/16 Q1014 TEMPO VRB30G45KT 1500 TSRA

OMDB 031652Z 0318/0424 33015KT 8000 SCT030
PROB30
TEMPO 0318/0412 VRB25G40KT 1500 TSRA SCT025CB
BECMG 0320/0322 06008KT
BECMG 0407/0409 30012KT
BECMG 0416/0418 09005KT

The locals are astonished and I hear flights holding overhead.

I know it has been brutal in the Southeast lately. My old stomping grounds are flooded.

It's been kind of unusual here, too.

OMDB 031800Z 31017KT 9999 -RA FEW040CB 21/16 Q1014 TEMPO VRB30G45KT 1500 TSRA

OMDB 031652Z 0318/0424 33015KT 8000 SCT030
PROB30
TEMPO 0318/0412 VRB25G40KT 1500 TSRA SCT025CB
BECMG 0320/0322 06008KT
BECMG 0407/0409 30012KT
BECMG 0416/0418 09005KT

The locals are astonished and I hear flights holding overhead.
That's my kinda WX, RP. Sounds almost tolerable!

What's the good word at Echo-Yankee?

Walt,

We had a couple of defections (you do and you clean it up!) this month so we are short staffed with no relief in sight. Heavy workload. Sound familiar?

It must be in the Dispatchers' Credo to take up the slack when, by no fault of our own, circumstances dictate a 33% increase in work without commensurate increase in pay.

But anyway, keep checking the career section for openings, there may be some near-future opportunities in the "Land of the Sand". It ain't all bad. We need some more 'Mericuns over here to do things right.

Mas Salaama,
Romeo Papa

Question

Over in UAE-land, do you have true 121-style joint control, just generate and file flight plans, or something in between?

Just curious...

Romeo Papa, as you know they (EY) had their chance at me a while ago and lost. Maybe if they offered a bit more.... well... actually a lot more. :nuts:

Question

Over in UAE-land, do you have true 121-style joint control, just generate and file flight plans, or something in between?

Just curious...

No, joint control and responsibility are not practiced here. In the OpSpecs equivalent document, it says the captain can conduct a flight in "the absence of a dispatcher" after a "self briefing" and it says so right on the release.

The documents I produce are referred to as flight plans vs releases in the U. S. although the finished product looks the same except for the aforementioned disclaimer.

Dispatchers here do everything that U.S. 121 dispatchers do except flight following. We mostly crank out and file flight plans as fast as we can after reviewing WX, NOTAMS, restricted airspace and ETOPS requirements. Flight following is mainly done via ACARS or SITA by the Ops Controllers.

We have a group of pilots from all over the world and from many different cultures. Some are very receptive to my U.S. 121 style of personal pre-flight briefing and some seem annoyed at my brash "interference" in their business. The briefing room is right next to OPs so I know and interact with many flight crews personally. Some respect DX'ers and some don't.

The majority of my DX co-workers are from other countries too and are unfamiliar with the joint responsibility thing so I am kind of a "Maverick" in the office. Old habits die hard!

From where I sit, the U. S. is virtually alone with the joint control concept.

Romeo Papa, as you know they (EY) had their chance at me a while ago and lost. Maybe if they offered a bit more.... well... actually a lot more. :nuts:

Romeo Hotel,
(sounds like a place that rents rooms by the hour)

Many times I think you got the clean end of the stick. I know now why our interviewer refused to show us the ops office. It's a cramped old space in the airport although there are huge plate glass windows overlooking the ramp. The 12 hour shifts are no day at the beach, either. The workload is brutal.

As far as the renumeration, it seems weak at first look but when you factor in the free (nice!) housing, no income tax, Social Security, Medicaid or other paycheck deductions, free healthcare, no sales tax, cheap gasoline, cheap utilities ($18 last month) and all this working in a rich country with a high standard of living. Did I mention the almost 50 days off per year?

I figured I would have to make in the mid to high $70 in the U.S. for the equivalent. I am saving money now that I couldn't at OO. That being said, there are some negatives, you take the good with the bad.

Latest resources

Back