Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

KOPF Anyone interested in flying right seat in a Phenom 100?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What column in the log book do you put that time in?

Come on. If someone can pay the monthly payment on the jet, they can pay someone to talk on the radio atleast 2000 a month.

Dont be a duesh. Did I spell that right?

It passed spell check! I thought it was doosh, but apparently not. Congrats!

Picidilly Lilly, man I miss that show. You would think it would come on atleast late at night.

These type of "jobs" are absolutely less than worthless. I have seen pilots laughed out of interviews for logging this type of thing. You cannot and must not log it. Let me be absolutely clear. There is NO loophole. This type of time in your logbook is a career killer., so how is this "helping out" a low-time guy? I'll put it succinctly: anyone who does this is a moron. Period. It is better for your career, your ego, and your wallet to pump fuel at the FBO. At least they'll pay you.

"You cannot and must not log it. Let me be absolutely clear. There is NO loophole. This type of time in your logbook is a career killer., "

Umm, what if the guy in the left seat has his MEI? Also he's rated on the jet. You can debate the value of this time, but it could be logged as dual received. Insurance, owner ok, etc. notwithstanding. But it would be legal and loggable.

This sounds like a great deal from the low-time pilot's standpoint. With jobs being a scarce as they are, who could really hold the low-timer responsible for accepting this offer? He probably isn't aware of the harm being done by working for free; the offeror does, however.

From a strictly legal standpoint:
That would qualify as abuse of a flight instructor certificate. The "instruction" would only occur when the owner flew and the student won't spend a dime for all this great learning that occured.

The Feds will have some great questions for the PIC.
-Why did the "student" need a lesson between KOPF and K***?
-What was covered on this "lesson?" Show me the records.
-Why were no local flights conducted? How did the "student" become familiar with the aircraft? Certainly you didn't just throw him in the plane and blast off with passengers.
-This instruction can't possibly be free. Where are the receipts?
-It WAS free?!?! I'll take 100 hours!

I suspect that this would end with suspension or revocation of instructor certs.

...and for the "student:"
-How is this loggable?
-Did you know that none of the time is loggable?
-And you logged it anyway?

I'm sure you can come up with a bunch of half-truth answers to thses questions. The only problem is that when the FAA nails you, you're nailed. You are guilty until proven innocent (admin law) and I doubt very much that a judge, FAA or civil, would rule in the pilots' favor.

Last edited:
acpilot has it nailed.

I don't have the link, but there was a relatively recent case where two MEI's were caught giving each other dual, switching off legs, in a plane they jointly owned. Basically every leg they both logged PIC. Both of them got their certificates revoked if I recall correctly.

If you live close to KOPF and are interested in building
SIC time in a Phenom 100.
The Phenom 100 is single pilot rated
Well this just doesn't wash, now does it?

Also, as I recall jets require a Type Rating. That leaves PIC out.

You want a guy who isn't appropriately rated to log SIC in a single pilot rated A/C?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you just haven't thought this through very well. Otherwise this is a pretty scummy thing to tell some poor kid.

If you had a prop, and the kid was appropriately rated, then you're good to go. Kid has to be the sole manipulator and you have to be an instructor, both log PIC. No different than every minute of everyone's Commercial and Instrument training. 61.51. Nothing says you have to pay for instruction.

Last edited:
I got bored and did some reading...

61.193 outlines privileges of a CFI. Nowhere does it say "to help people build time." One could argue that the insturctor was providing training towards a Phenom 100 type rating, but who would believe that a kid with 200 hours would be going for a jet type flying from the right seat?

And there's still the whole "abusing the certificate" thing.

Latest resources

Back