Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Knee defender $21.95. Diverted and kicked off for acting like 5 year olds...priceless

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

waveflyer

Or rather..hopefully, $50,000 ($25,000 FAA fines x2) check made payable to united for the cost of the divert

Flight diverted after fight over knee space
Associated Press, AP 10:12 p.m. EDT August 25, 2014

(Photo: AP)
CONNECT
TWEET
LINKEDIN
COMMENT
EMAIL
MORE
NEW YORK ? Airline passengers have come to expect a tiny escape from the confined space of today's packed planes: the ability to recline their seat a few inches. When one passenger was denied that bit of personal space Sunday, it led to a heated argument and the unscheduled landing of their plane, just halfway to its destination.

The fight started on a United Airlines flight because one passenger was using the Knee Defender, a $21.95 gadget that attaches to a passenger's tray table and prevents the person in front of them from reclining.

The Federal Aviation Administration leaves it up to individual airlines to set rules about the device. United Airlines said it prohibits use of the device, like all major U.S. airlines. Spirit Airlines and Allegiant Air take the reclining mechanisms out of their seats, leaving them permanently upright.

The dispute on United Flight 1462 from Newark, New Jersey, to Denver escalated to the point where the airline decided to divert to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, according to Transportation Security Administration spokesman Ross Feinstein.

Chicago police and TSA officers met the flight, spoke to the passengers ? a man and a woman, both 48 ? and "deemed it a customer service issue," Feinstein said. The TSA would not name the passengers.

The plane then continued to Denver without them, arriving 1 hour and 38 minutes late, according to the airline's website.

The Federal Aviation Administration can impose a civil fine of up to $25,000 for passengers who are unruly. In this case, no arrest was made, according to Chicago airport spokesman Gregg Cunningham.

The fight started when the male passenger, seated in a middle seat of Row 12, used the Knee Defender to stop the woman in front of him from reclining while he was on his laptop, according to a law enforcement official with knowledge of the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak.

A flight attendant asked him to remove the device and he refused. The woman then stood up, turned around and threw a cup of water at him, the official says. That's when United decided to land in Chicago. The two passengers were not allowed to continue to Denver.

Both passengers were sitting in United's Economy Plus section, the part of the plane that has four more inches of legroom than the rest of coach.

Wave: If memory serves, SWA will keep track of certain passengers behavior and in some cases not sell them a ticket after an incident? That's something I've always thought was a great idea. Let's see if passengers like knee defender can keep jobs if their employers can't use certain airlines to get their stoopid asses around.

Obviously law enforcement isn't going to do anything; We're right back to those days again. Locking the seat isn't a bad idea either.

I've personally never used knee defender, but love the idea. United seat pitch is already tight enough without having the passenger in front of me slamming their seat back as far as it will go and rendering my workspace useless. He should have compromised with the other passenger and adjusted his knee defender to allow partial recline. Yes, the knee defender actually let's you adjust how much or how little seat recline you want to let your seat mate have.:D

Last edited:
Agreed saluki. I don't really ever sleep on planes and if i do and I don't need to recline my seat to do it. What's more annoying than having someone jam their seat as far back as it will go so you can stare at their head for the whole flight. Then god forbid if you want to watch a movie or do work on your laptop . Just get rid of the recline. Less maintenance too. On a side note i think 100% of bald dudes with really shiny heads recline their seats all the way back on every flight.

I've personally never used knee defender, but love the idea. United seat pitch is already tight enough without having the passenger in front of me slamming their seat back as far as it will go and rendering my workspace useless. He should have compromised with the other passenger and adjusted his knee defender to allow partial recline. Yes, the knee defender actually let's you adjust how much or how little seat recline you want to let your seat mate have.:D

He was in economy plus. I am 6'3" and have plenty of room in economy plus. Guy was just an a$$.

He was in economy plus. I am 6'3" and have plenty of room in economy plus. Guy was just an a$$.

Yep^^^

The lady too though

Threw a cup of water in his face?? Over reclining 2"???

It's not like these are lazy boys here

"You're sitting in a chair...in the sky...!...!... (Whines)'But it doesn't go back a lot..' "

P

If someone reclines, I either push my knees constantly into the lower seat, turn the air vent on full toward their head, or open up the usatoday all the way touching their head and constantly rattle it around. 9/10 times they get the hint and unrecline.

Latest resources

Back