KMCI, Terrible connecting city!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your right

disregarded....lost medical.....now dispatcher......this trip traveling on vacation as paying passenger......yes insulin dependant......over and out......:D

you CAN obtain a medical as a diabetic.....however its only a 3rd class and limited to type...2 i think or 3 or whatever the FAA lists. to get one your counts have to be consistently "within tolerance" for a specific time period. i had 2 students go through this.....one an older gentlemen....the other unfortunately a 16 yr old girl who discovered the source of her suddenly increasing fatigue during the medical for her upcomming solo....(it wasnt basketball practice and extra classes/studying/activities like she thought)...it was the juvinile variety. i dont know how she ended up, i had to leave for a better job right when she started flying again.

but yes you can.

Last edited:
Re: Got what I paid for!

rvsm410 said:
but the treatment by the TSA "monitored Rent-a-screeners" would have treated first class passengers the same...it was just unexcusable IMHO....

I've gotten the same treatment from TSA on occasion: Last time was at CVG, and the same deal with not wanting to take off my shoes. I didn't beep, and was pulled for wanding anyway. Don't blame the fact that it's contracted out at MCI -- blame the specific airport's TSA supervision.

Rochester, NY, is also a contract-screener airport, and they've been consistently professional and efficient at doing their thing. Believe me, TSA at that airport wouldn't be an improvement at all.

And people still travel...

It is so obvious that the TSA does not understand how their behavior reflects upon the flying public. What a sad state.

As for the comment about specific airports, I have been quite lucky at MDW, PHX, STL, and BOS. I have noticed rude behavior at other locations, which isn't as blatantly atrocious as your day.

Keep writing, calling, etc., eventually someone will listen.

I connect through MCI on occasion and the design is horrible. I actually thought SWA was already in their new area because it is better than where they were, but maybe it's not their final location. MCI is undergoing major construction, but having to go in and out of security checkpoints for connections and isolating the gate waiting areas from restrooms and food will always make this a terrible airport for connections.

Other airports (DFW. LGA, and even JFK come to mind) also require additional screening to get between concourses or terminals, but at least you don't have to exit security to find a restroom to use before you board.

I've also noticed that MCI's "random" checks are not exactly random. Suffice it to say that the screening agents there are given more latitude than they should have to select people for secondary screening who do not set off the detectors. Such latitude allows for profiling based on the prejudices of the screeners and can lead to an abuse of power. That problem is completely within their power to fix.

On the plus side, the loads are usually light, so it is easy to get into and out of. You just have to plan enough time for the hassle factor of changing terminals and/or screening areas if you are making a connection.

Planning time, out of our hands.

DGS, you mention to plan for more time to transition to other areas of the airport, remember if I am connect from one SWA flight to another SWA flight, the timing is not up to me,as in my case I had 40 minutes from arrival to pushback, and alot to learn for a new comer to the airport.......thus the crux of my complaint to SWA for scheduling my flight in this manor.

I have not heard from the TSA supervisor that oversee's the "rent a screeners" at MCI, I' am not holding my breath either. From the sounds of it this person gets hit everyday with complaints, and should!

Anyone short of Barny the dinosaur's attitude is subject to a very slow strip search in front of ALL to spectate...I for one will avoid MCI at all costs on the future, especially when I Non-Rev, that must be a real joke to do that, and just begging to get attention.

Col. Bill USAF ret.

In 2002, I commuted out of MCI on USAirways and Vanguard. I was impressed by the remodel of the gate area for USAir. I also loved the ability to meet friends at the gate, just like it used to be.

I haven't been there in over a year, so maybe security has become a nightmare. I remember the Southwest system there always left a lot to be desired. The ticket counter seemed to be very far from many of the gates, with the gates of connecting flights spread across the terminal. I can see how it would be tough to get in and out of security there when it's busy and you are short on time.

I believe once the KCI folks work out the potty problems, that airport will once again be enjoyable to fly into.

I live and commute from MCI. The airport should NEVER be used for making connections. As an origin and/or destination, it's an awesome airport. You can meet your party, grab your luggage and be in the car and out the door in a few minutes. Or in reverse, you can check-in, pop through security (if you're not flying Cattle Car in the Sky, SWA) and board the plane within minutes.

Kmci

I would agree with you, it is noce to be able to go in and out quickly.....not to connect though on SWA...they schedule very little time to do so......still like an airport out of the 60's...

Me Too

I fly out of MCI all the time and the set up does suck! Especially when you hit the Starbucks and go through security early to beat the rush and it's one of those mornings that the coffee just goes right through you and you ahve to leave the departure area then get back in the mile long line. I too had the guy say "you might want to take off your shoes". My reply was "these do not have metal shanks in them." And sure enough after I pass through security with out making a peep I get pulled to the side and get the magic wand. I have been doing a lot of watch and some of my own experimenting......bottom line......the shoes are coming off or you are getting the wand at MCI whether you make a peep or not!

Latest resources

Back