Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wankel7

It's a slippery slope...
Yeah, so I have been flying in and out of LRD for a while now...

Last week they shut down the only ILS runway and the ILS. Not for a few days but until Jan or Feb! 17L

So, that leaves you with the NDB to 17R and some circle to lands.

It really floors me that they would do this. I guess it wasn't a city/airport thing but a Airways commission thing?

There is a lot of traffic here and I was wondering if this is pissing anybody else off? ATI has a 8 , Fedex has a 72 and an Airbus, to CAT 72s, five eagle flights, and five Expressjet flights a day. I am sure it is gonna irriate some folks.

Wankel

That's sure gonna irriate some passengers at Eagle when it goes IFR. We can't do NDB approaches in the Embraer anymore. New company policy. A WTF? policy I might add.

Wankel7 said:
Yeah, so I have been flying in and out of LRD for a while now...

Last week they shut down the only ILS runway and the ILS. Not for a few days but until Jan or Feb! 17L

So, that leaves you with the NDB to 17R and some circle to lands.

It really floors me that they would do this. I guess it wasn't a city/airport thing but a Airways commission thing?

There is a lot of traffic here and I was wondering if this is pissing anybody else off? ATI has a 8 , Fedex has a 72 and an Airbus, to CAT 72s, five eagle flights, and five Expressjet flights a day. I am sure it is gonna irriate some folks.

Wankel

I have not flown domestic for a while but I'll see what company is doing about it. I used to fly to LRD quite a bit about a year ago and sometimes the fog got really shitty. We are not allowed CTL and with the NDB you will not get in when it gets foggy.

Ahh yes. The constant marine stratus, low ceilings, fog and drizzle that predominates the weather of Laredo, Texas.

It just irritates the hell out of me because I know this is gonna screw pilots that just want to get the day done....but they can't. And yeah it is screw up a lot of operations into the airport.

LRD is a weird airport since the only viable alternatives are SAT which is 130mn or CRP which is 105 miles away.

Not to mention last night when the AWOS took a dump...I guess a couple IFL Convairs got stuck in SAT...I am sure it was the perfect end to their day...since they can't manage to land without an approach...

Wasted...come down to S. Texas....I will take you across teh border...I hear they need a new apprentice for the donkey...

Wan

san antonio freight pilots are rejoicing. low ifr equals a day off.

Latest resources

Back