• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

KLAS Departures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pre-9/11 they would also allow Kepec 1 arrivals a Right Downwind for 19R/L and nearly almost gave it to you. The controllers would even tell you to cross the Stratosphere at 3K and turn you base there.... guess people got too nervous... Seems like Kepec 1 now leads you to 25L more and more often since then.

It wasn't the KEPEC then but it's true. The right downwind coming from LA or the right base coming from Reno to 19R with a turn about the Stupak Stump (as we called it) was always a fun ride. For the crew and the folks on the tower observation deck.

It's a note on the airport diagram. If you want to wait in a long line burning fuel then go ahead and use 25. I feel for "operation necessity" ie fuel on board, I need to takeoff on 19. Also, I believe on the airport diagram it lists hours 2000-0800 only...

They don't care. If you're going northeast and the winds aren't howling out of the north or south, you're doing the STAAV off of 25R. We all tried the "operational necessity" thing. Not so much.

The only way out that I can think of is probably to file a flight plan that indicates you are unable RNAV departures since the STAAV is an RNAV SID.

The STAAV SID is issued to all RNAV-capable aircraft filing over MLF, BCE, DVC, and the STAAV SID only serves Runways 25.***** The Center host computer automatically gives you the STAAV based on your route; requesting another runway and SID requires the Flight Data position in the tower to manually input your requested SID and coordinate that with TRACON.

The Tower really doesn't care if you try to game the system and they are not the ones who will ask FSDO to investigate your "operational need."

However, the Traffic Management Unit might be very interested to know why you can't accept the STAAV SID off Runway 25 if your "operation need" causes a delay or reduces through-put when they're swamped with traffic.

A little background:***** Because of KLAS's runway geometry and no LAHSO, every Rwy 19 movement stops a Rwy 25 movement.********** Further slowing through-put is the fact that on all but the STAAV SID, all departures from both runway complexes turn to a common waypoint (ROPPR) and those aircraft have to separated, causing more delay as departures are metered to that fix.

By sequencing Rwy 25 departures via SID, KLAS can launch a STAAV followed by a BOACH followed by STAAV then a SHEAD then STAAV followed by a COWBY. ***** Right turn, left turn, right turn, left turn ... you get the idea. They can fling departures off in a very rapid succession.

If KLAS is in a high demand period, using Rwy 19 for a Northeast route could cost you a delay until a hole can be made in the Rwy 25 L&R streams to accommodate a Rwy 19 departure.***** By the way, the highest through-put at McCarran is a straight dual Rwy 25 configuration and that's how they'll operate at peak traffic.

If traffic is light, you can hope for a minimal delay off Rwy 19 but keep in mind that if your route of flight is over MLF, BCE, DVC and you elect not to fly the STAAV SID off Rwy 25 you will be flying a counter-clockwise track around the Las Vegas Valley with step climbs instead of a right turn off Rwy 25 with an unrestricted climb and transitioning to your first en route fix.

An occasional playing of the "Operational Need" trick probably won't bring much attention to you, but if you're a frequent user of KLAS and you always play that game you could aggravate the TMU to the point where FSDO will be contacting you to discuss your unique Operational Need.

I don't want to sound pedantic about this -- with traffic being lighter now than in the past, flying the TRALR SID is easier than when KLAS was running at peak capacity.***** If you request Rwy 19 give some thought as to the impact it's going to have on the rest of the airport and whether eating a delay for a Rwy 19 departure window is worth it.

I always wondered what fun it would be if we ever had to go around off of the 19's and they have departed an airliner off of 25R... Seems like everytime I land on 19 there is a Southwest right in front of me heading west off of 25R...

Latest resources

Back