Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tbkane

The 10 American Industries That May Never Recover

8. Airlines. The number of pilots, flight attendants and ground crew workers is shrinking as consolidation and the recession have hurt the industry badly. Mergers in the last two years, between Delta and Northwest and United's merger with Continental, have decreased the number of large carriers in the U.S. by half. The Bureau of Transportation Statistics reported that the number of airline employees in the U.S. has fallen by 25% since 2001. And the latest merger firings have not yet been announced. Jobs for pilots and flight engineers fell by 30.4% in the third quarter of 2009 to 96,000 from 138,000 jobs in 2008, according to the BLS.

30% decrease in pilot jobs and age 65 on top of it. Pilot shortage I don't think so!

Full article is here http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bu...0-american-industries-that-will-never-recover

As Sir Winston Churchill has said "I only believe statistics if I have made them myself".

I'd like to see the number of pilots who can actually hold a class one medical certificate until 65!

P.S.: Mergers and firings: I don't recall the "new" Delta having furloughed pilots or planning to do so.

Last edited:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Boeing says the airline industry will need to hire more than one million workers over the next 20 years to prepare for a wave of 30,000 new aircraft.
The airlines will need to hire 466,650 pilots and 596,500 maintenance crew workers between 2010 and 2029, the aircraft maker said Thursday.

That means the industry will need an average of 23,300 new pilots and 30,000 maintenance workers annually from now until 2029, the company said.
"Our challenge is adapting our training to engage the future generation of people who will fly and maintain the more than 30,000 airplanes that will be delivered by 2029," said Roei Ganzarski, chief customer officer for Boeing Training & Flight Services, in a statement.
0:00 /2:39Can Russia compete in aviation?
The largest need for new personnel is in the Asia-Pacific region, where about 180,000 pilots and 220,000 maintenance workers will be required, the company said.
In North America, the commercial airline industry will need about 97,000 pilots and 137,000 maintenance crew members, Boeing (BA, Fortune 500) said. Similar numbers will be needed in Europe.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/16/news/international/boeing_jobs_airline/?section=money_latest

Yeah that is great if we all want to move to China!

Your reading comprehension skills are a little rusty, there chowderhead.

"In North America, the commercial airline industry will need about 97,000 pilots and 137,000 maintenance crew members, Boeing (BA, Fortune 500) said. Similar numbers will be needed in Europe."

23,000 new pilots a year come on. Boeing in is the business of selling planes what are they supposed to say were stagnant and the US industry just isn't buying airplanes? If you think we need 97,000 pilots by the year 2029 just wait. Single pilot cockpits are allready being worked on followed by no pilot cockpits just like the military. So drink the koolaid if you want but the reality is the market is shrinking for pilots. There Chowderhead.

I'm sure it will recover, just may take a few years. I know that in a few years at Delta, not sure exactly when it starts - I would have to look again, but over a period of 5 years we retire over 800 pilots a year. That is 1/3 of our entire pilot staff gone in a 5 year period.

Just as these rest rules are trying to combat fatalities, so will regulations against single pilot cockpits. Like I have said before all they have to do is bring up the CAL IOE flight where the IOE Capt died of a heart attack just after rotation. That puts an end to single pilot cockpits for many moons to come.

Most of the aircraft purchases in the US will be fleet renewal. Places like China still need to grow. We are pretty much capped here in the US.

Latest resources

Back