• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kit Darby - Is he back yet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some of those numbers would make you cry: AMR 100/mo, UAL 100/mo, DAL 100/mo, NWA 80/mo, USAir 80/mo, CAL 80/mo and so on...for years on end. Scores and scores of cargo outfits, commuters, air taxi, whatever...there was plenty of room for everyone, and the rooms were pretty nice (full retirement, paid healthcare, lots of $$ and time off to enjoy it).

Now, not so much.:crying:Nu

As you know, Fedex is in "hiring mode"

....at 8 a month

Seriously? 60 a month? Why is it I have only heard of "scholarship winners" were the only ones going to class then? It would be nice to hear Delta revising their plans-2014 is not doing anyone any good when it comes to them not hiring.

Remember the "Flight Instructor Message Board" or whatever it was called? Talk about flingin' poo. . . . That place was a riot. :D

Of course, we were much younger then . . . . We're waaaay above that now. :rolleyes:

In 1996 I discovered this board and that was the year I got my private pilot license. Mark was the sole moderator and a nearly daily presence due to all the "poo flinging". He kept this message board alive by the sweat of his brow and his own pocketbook.

Anyone recall when he abandoned the old message board format in favor of the current one? There were a few who pitched a hissy fit because it was so different but it seems to have become the gold standard among large internet forums. Guess he was wise beyond his years.

Seriously? 60 a month? Why is it I have only heard of "scholarship winners" were the only ones going to class then? It would be nice to hear Delta revising their plans-2014 is not doing anyone any good when it comes to them not hiring.

I read that 300 off the street people will be interviewed starting next week at TK (Denver training center). My understanding is that UAL has completed hiring those 'that have a previous relationship' with UAL. This pool would start training on the LCAL side, although they could also be sent to the LUAL side once they start hiring off the street.

The logic behind interviewing at TK is that
1) the IAH training center is small and there is not a spare room to be used for 300 interviews.
2) the interview includes a 737 sim evaluation, and again, the 737 sims in IAH are operating around the clock. DENTK has a L-UAL 737-300 sim not doing a whole lot, so that is being used for the eval.

There are recalls on the LUAL side and I would expect newhire training to begin in Denver sometime this summer. For those going to Den, it would likely only be for the Airbus.
I have no idea how much hiring they would do for training in Denver.

AOL is still a bomb . . . just ask Time Warner shareholders . . . . :erm:

LOL! My mom hung onto her AOL shares way too long; had a cost basis of around 10 cents per share. Got in shortly after IPO. I begged her to sell at $130, $110, $90, etc. I think she finally dumped her holdings at ~$50/share.
She wasn't very computer savvy and didn't understand why I insisted that AOL was a dying business. Not to mention the cost of the billion or so floppies/CDs that AOL had sent out to everyone including my dog as they were losing customers. Of course the legal problems didn't help either.

Actually, this board was one of the very first, I joined it in 1996 (a database change reset all of us to 2001).

It was started by a guy named Mark, great guy, a Lear 35 pilot. He was killed in a G.A. accident. I still have a few PM's from him in my my inbox.

Mark was a great guy, and us FI "old timers" miss him.

1996? What did you use - a Commodore 64 or Apple II? :D
I bet things were blazing fast once you upgraded to a 14.4 modem. :laugh:

I bought my first home computer when Win95 was released; a state of the art P75 with a 28K modem. Back when AOL dialup was the bomb. :p

Pfffft, real playa's used a 56.6.

Good grief, I remember when a DUATs WX brief would take 5 minutes using a 2800.

Pfffft, real playa's used a 56.6.

Those came out after 28K . Which came out after the 14.4K.
I remember cracking open my tower and replacing my modem with a 'state of the art' 56K modem. Shortly thereafter, I ordered individual parts and built my own computer.
With a brand new 3Dfx graphics board (I didn't go SLI). They were bleeding edge graphics back in the day, prior to nVidia. 3Dfx ended up having production problems on their new chipsets (poor yields at TMSC's foundary) and that killed them; they ran out of money while nVidia came out with better graphics boards.
Today I could care less what's inside my computer; Moore's law stopped being important years ago.

Latest resources

Back