Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Big Slick

Kit Darby - Is he back yet?

The pilot hiring boom will be on like Donkey-Kong when he shows up again.

Get your "Airline Pilot Career" reference materials before they sell out!

Break, break.

12 year old "Airline Pilot Career" reference materials for sell cheap!! Mint condition!

Break, break.

12 year old "Airline Pilot Career" reference materials for sell cheap!! Mint condition!

I'll see your 12 year old APC mats, and raise you 25 year old FAPA reference materials. To their credit, back in those pre-intrawebz days, that was pretty much the only way word got around...at least in the civilian world. Unless you were juiced in somewhere, that's how you got your info. Mil guys had their "gouge books" at the squadron.

Some of those numbers would make you cry: AMR 100/mo, UAL 100/mo, DAL 100/mo, NWA 80/mo, USAir 80/mo, CAL 80/mo and so on...for years on end. Scores and scores of cargo outfits, commuters, air taxi, whatever...there was plenty of room for everyone, and the rooms were pretty nice (full retirement, paid healthcare, lots of $$ and time off to enjoy it).

Now, not so much.:crying:

Nu

Last edited:
Kit sure did a fine job of ensuring himself an early 'retirement' from United.

I wish there had been a Kit FAPA back in 1977 when I left the Navy, a lot of guys got jobs from contacts made at those shows. I remember DAL in 1998 when SWA had a short line, the one you went to after standing in line a UAL for four hours. I remember LA in 2001, USA Jet had a longer line than Jet Blue. I remember 2000 at ATL where NJ was trying to get pilots to come by their booth.

Last edited:
I went to two Air Inc pilot conventions in Dallas back in 1999 and 2000.

Once the presentations were completed, you could wander to different airline booths. The lines for United, Delta and American were a mile long. I walked up to the Southwest table and there was no line at all.

To their credit, the Southwest people were nicer than the others. The lady working there was handicapped. This is back when Herb ran "a small little people company in good ol' Texas."

The guys from the "Big Three" carried themselves like they were ancient Pan Am Sky Gods. Oh how the great have fallen. Hubris.

The only constant is change.

Kit Darby, or someone like him, we be around shortly. Economics 101. When there is a demand, someone will create a supply.

Can't complain. In the 80s I made my decision to not leave the service due to info in his publications. First, the monthly hiring updates showed 1 in maybe 100 or more getting hired with less than uncorrected 20/20 vision* greatly reducing my chances. Second, his long-range data showed a huge peak of retirements from 1997-1999 which would create a hiring boom so stayed in the service until then. The projected boom turned into reality as predicted (even more so with the 1990s economy). To top it off I got a major's interview at a FAPA job fair.

* this ended with lawsuits and then rulings coming out of the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990)

DISCLAIMER: This has been a paid advertisement for FAPA and it's associated products by a non-professional driver on a closed course. Side effects may include slow seniority list integration, increased frequency of low bank balance, and early onset of alternate career. Seek immediate professional help for furloughs lasting more than four years.

Last edited:
Can't complain. In the 80s I made my decision to not leave the service due to info in his publications. First, the monthly hiring updates showed 1 in maybe 100 or more getting hired with less than uncorrected 20/20 vision* greatly reducing my chances. Second, his long-range data showed a huge peak of retirements from 1997-1999 which would create a hiring boom so stayed in the service until then. The projected boom turned into reality as predicted (even more so with the 1990s economy). To top it off I got a major's interview at a FAPA job fair.

* this ended with lawsuits and then rulings coming out of the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990)

DISCLAIMER: This has been a paid advertisement for FAPA and it's associated products by a non-professional driver on a closed course. Side effects may include slow seniority list integration, increased frequency of low bank balance, and early onset of alternate career. Seek immediate professional help for furloughs lasting more than four years.
You realize this post may get you banned from the "Pilot Brotherhood", because real pilots all post what a disservice Kit did to the brotherhood.

You realize this post may get you banned from the "Pilot Brotherhood", because real pilots all post what a disservice Kit did to the brotherhood.
Yes, I know it's a carnival act and he makes a lot of cash off of people seeking hopes and dreams, but as long as you pick and choose it can help. Stay away from the books and videos.

Break, break.

Heard he needs body guards now... He uses Lorenzo's.

Latest resources

Back