• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

King Airelines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quite a while ago, I looked into King. I actually walked into that trailer they have for an office, and after they discovered i had more than 500 hours, they weren't interested. I'd say going out and doing some instruction in a twin, would be much better experience than doing two pilot flying in a one pilot airplane, to one airport, in vfr conditions....but I could be wrong

Does anyone know if they're firm on the 50 multi? I only have around 37 but meet all the other mins. Thanks.

CFIIER,
Thats why we said things have changed... You can't work for them unless you meet the VFR 135 Mins 500,100,25. All of our operations are single pilot there is no airplane on our line that uses two pilots. One airport which is considered cross country. I don't think flight instructing in a Dutchess or a Seminole can beat 135 Single Pilot in a C402.

Piper877,
No man its not a firm number, I have 33 M.E. hours and its not a problem.

pilotlbs said:
I don't think flight instructing in a Dutchess or a Seminole can beat 135 Single Pilot in a C402.
That's an interesting statement from someone with "33 M.E. hours".

Flying VFR canyon tours vs. teaching multi-engine ops? I learned just as much during 500hrs dual given in the Duchess as I did during my first 500hrs single pilot in the King Air. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

No there is no doubt about learning a lot teaching multi-engine ops. There's no doubt about learning a ton in any teaching environment. HOWEVER, I feel that having a hands on 135 environment is better experience for the next level (regionals). Just because I've got 33 hrs of M.E. doesn't mean trash, I've been around instructing and I've been around this stuff. I prefer the 135 gigs, and thats just me so I gave my opinion. Instructing isn't as much of the hands on stuff, so you get the experience of learning a bit more from teaching but where do you perfect your own technique, I wasn't able to while instructing, considering that you hardly ever touch the controls, make sense? There is definitely no problem with teaching in a duchess, or seminole, I wouldn't take away my instructing experience for anything, but I personally would rather do the flying in a high performance twin than flyin a twin at 172 speeds. Know what I mean?

CFIIer said:
Quite a while ago, I looked into King. I actually walked into that trailer they have for an office, and after they discovered i had more than 500 hours, they weren't interested. I'd say going out and doing some instruction in a twin, would be much better experience than doing two pilot flying in a one pilot airplane, to one airport, in vfr conditions....but I could be wrong

I was told by a Skywest recruiter that CFI time doesn't look nearly as good to them as 135 or 121 time flying passengers for an airline, Canyon VFR or not.

I think it's more about showing that you can be a dependable airline employee than it is about how much you learned on your last flight.

Flywithmike said:
Three engine failures is a little hard to believe. I never heard about them. But I'm not saying it never happened. Your friend should apply to Scenic.

www.scenicops.com

It might have been two...I can't remember...I just remember the phone calls I got about them. Heck, I lost count of mine (not at King) after 6.

Anyway...he is out of aviation for a living. Tried it, realized it sucks and decided to make more money, faster and fly for fun.

I could've gone to Scenic which is still an option in the future I suppose, but I think 135 PIC Twin time is just as valuable if not more than sitting right seat in an Otter (Twin turbine SIC 121).

Are you kidding!!! Piston 135 VFR only PIC worth more than Turbine 121 SIC? Are you kidding me? Unless you want to go to Cape Air you are sorely mistaken. Hmmm 121 with IFR and multiple destinations with upgrade to captain in a year. I don't think there is any question which is more valuable. The only thing at a Regional or Fractional that is piston is the fuel truck. Look at anybody hiring pilots and the two things that everyone would want is TURBINE and 121 experience. Single Pilot flying breeds a sloppy pilot. You are not showing that you are capable of flying as a crew.

Talk to me about how much you like King when it is 100 outside and you have to do a "victory lap" before you can fly through Dutchmans Pass. Or when you have a 100 degree day with 6 passengers in 437. Trust me I know.

I said RIGHT seat, not left seat. Left seat 121 twin turbine no doubt about it, is good time. However I know that 135 PIC C402 time is better than sitting RIGHT seat in an Otter 121, thats for sure, the great thing about Scenic is you upgrade in less than a year to the left seat then its great time, disagree with that? Its better than instructing thats all I can say. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! A SLOPPY PILOT?! Its interesting how someone with Ameriflight can go from a BE1900 single pilot 135 straight to Southwest. I don't think they're hire sloppy pilots, but thats just me. Not to mention the fact that X-Jet isn't impressed with your turbine time in a caravan that was 121, maybe thats why they're hiring all these ATP guys who have tons of twin time in a seminole, thats not even 121 or 135.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back