• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

King Airelines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I am currently working for King Airelines as of March 15, 2005. I've lived in Vegas most of my life and have been around the flying community here for a few years. I know the old rumors that have been floating around Vegas for the past coulple years with regards to King. However, I must say I am definitely impressed with the improvement since Bob Trout our Chief Pilot taken over. Maintenance is maintained much better than it has been (from what I was told from senior pilots there), the cowboys are gone, there is definitely a much more professional environment now which I am enjoying. Unfortunately yes, there is a $500 initial training fee. Personally, I was instructing before this and I had absolutely no problem paying $500 to get on with King. I don't yet meet the 600/50 hours mins for Scenic, nor did I want to pay $12,000 dollars to go work for Vision (one of their pilots informed me of that cost), and I did not enjoy instructing so it wasn't a problem. King is a job, and yes they have older planes and fly the same routes all the time VFR. But I personally look at it as: I'm safe, my passengers are safe, my co-workers are great people, my Chief Pilot and management personel are very professional and realistic, and overall I'm having a good time. I'm young, building PIC 135 time and hopefully hop in the 402 within a few months. I'm also making much more than I ever did instructing, which I know is not a lot to some people. The other option for Vegas I would say is Scenic, I've got some friends who fly for them and they enjoy it also, plus I've met some of the guys who work there, really nice guys.
The pay scale I don't currently have in front of me for the twins, however for the Cessna 206/207 the pay is:
Air Only: $30/Flight
Air Ground: $45/Flight
"Helis" (Similiar to air ground): $45/Flight
Tips- Good day: >$100
Really bad day: $0
I hope this helps you guys, thanks!

Luke Simons

How many flights can you get in on a days worth of work? And could you live on that kinda money. I have a CFI job lined up mostly pvt stuff in 150-182. I dont have any multi yet, After I make a few bucks CFI'ing that the first thing on my list. It will be around 65$ an hour for a PA34-200T. How many hours are they getting at king a month? And are they still looking for pilots?

Thanks Tony

pilotlbs said:
I don't yet meet the 600/50 hours mins for Scenic...

I'm young, building PIC 135 time and hopefully hop in the 402 within a few months
Let me get this straight: A pilot can go from <600/50 to PIC in the 402 in "a few" months?:eek:

I know you stay VFR but a decrepit C402, full of people, coming out of Vegas in the summer w/ a low experience captain sounds like trouble.

Tony,
Hey man, you can get up to 3 flights a day which isn't too common but definitely possible, especially since we're coming up on the busy seaon. You of course don't make much money, a lot of the guys have room mates to help with expenses. Anyways, these are my personal stats since I've been flying at King I don't know what anyone else has got but here are mine.
Hours in 11 working days: 33.6 Hours
Total pay in 11 working days (INCLUDING TIPS): $1,135.00
The biggest reason I went to King besides the reason that I was hating flight instrucing, was to get my 135 PIC Multi-time in the 402. I could've gone to Scenic which is still an option in the future I suppose, but I think 135 PIC Twin time is just as valuable if not more than sitting right seat in an Otter (Twin turbine SIC 121). However, the advantage to Scenic is about after a year or so you upgrade to Captain which is definitely a better deal, because then it 121 PIC Twin Turbine. But to me they're all just stepping stones, just enjoying my time. Take care!

pilotlbs were you CFI'ing at Shebles? Im going out there this wed for the CFI thing they have. I would like to talk to you well im out there. I will send you a pm in a bit

Tony

Tony,
Nooo, I was instructing at First Flight Aviation in North Las Vegas. I heard about something they're having at Shebles, is it at the Henderson airport? I'll most likely be workin Wed. during the day, don't know times or anything though. Yeah, let me know about it.

Someone said Bob Trout is the new chief pilot at King? I wonder if this is the same Bob Trout that gave my my private checkride out of Henderson years ago?

For you folks thinking about going to King it may be worth mentioning that the ONLY airport you will be flying to is Canyon West. That would get real boring, real quick. Go to Scenic, at least you can do some EAS flying and overnight in party central Ely, NV.

HMR,
Yup thats right, I can understand what you mean, but its not like its that difficult. You train in the 402 just as you would train in anything, take a check ride and if you're good to go then you're good to go. Everyone starts somewhere as I'm sure you know. I feel confident enough with my abilities with just less than 600 hours that I could fly the 402 as PIC safely with the proper training. They make it work every year with very few problems.

Luke

Latest resources

Back