King Air needs Copilot? Insurance?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LimoDriverG1159

I heard that King Airs or perhaps all turbine multi planes need to have a co-pilot to meet insurance. Came out with new rule in June 06. Is there any truth to this?

Last edited:
King Air Co pilots

Could be some insurance industry requirement.
Our company started using warm bodies in the right seat on all flights regardless of their Part 135 status for insurance requirements. Before then, we got dispatched on single pilot trips even in the B350s. Now even our C90s get right seaters. I would not mind doing some research as to how much charter companies save when they hire employees to sit in the right seat of various King Airs.

A LOT of King Air operators have been required (or set the requirement themselves for rate reasons) for a number of years...haven't heard anything industry-wide, though.

Fly safe!

David

Mr Wu said:
No, you cannot log it as SIC.

Just thought I'd get a jump on the real question.

Well ya could he the person manipulating the controls was dawning a hood!

Mr Wu said:
No, you cannot log it as SIC.

Just thought I'd get a jump on the real question.

True, but with exceptions. If the autopilot was deferred or the pilot required an SIC by regulation then SIC time can be logged if the copilot has an SIC checkride.

ksu_aviator said:
"........If the autopilot was deferred............SIC time can be logged if the copilot has an SIC checkride."

Not generally true. Under part 135 passenger carrying IFR operations, this is true, a co-ilot is required. Under Part 135 VFR ops, cargo ops, and under part 91 the co-pilot is not required, so no SIC time may be logged.

A Squared said:
Not generally true. Under part 135 passenger carrying IFR operations, this is true, a co-ilot is required. Under Part 135 VFR ops, cargo ops, and under part 91 the co-pilot is not required, so no SIC time may be logged.

Then make the captain wear foggles ffs!

Latest resources

Back