King Air gurus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Citationkid said:
Cessna did the same thing with the 172SP, which is really just a 172S. I guess it just sells more planes:confused:

Actually the difference is in the avionics package. The 172S is the base model, the SP is the loaded model, with AP, and all the bells and whistles. Now the SP model includes glass.

Just for the record, the A100 has Pratts PT6 and when they came out with the B100 P&W C was on strike hence the Garett.

wingnutt said:
cool...and to answer the trivia question, Beech did tests in a 200 retrofitted with JT-15D fanjets back in 1975. the engines were placed in the exact spot the PT6's are. it was designated the PD 290 and did more than 100 test flights but was abandonded in 1977 since the airfoil used on the King Airs (and just about every modern other Beech product) was found to create too much drag and wasnt all that much faster than a properly sized turboprop.
I saw one in test in Wichita....basically a King Air 200 with fans I guess that is why Beechcraft ended up buying Mitsubishi Diamond changed to Beech jet now the Hawker 400

sky37d said:
B-100 with Garrett tpe331-6
Do I get a prize??
Are the PT-6's quieter?

Ahaaa... You just lost your prize by asking if the PT-6's were quieter than the Garretts.:D That would be like asking if the old DC-9's were as quiet as the 717's.

Night and day difference here as well. You will surely hear if a B100 is near you on a ramp.

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back