King Air C-90 Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cmdr Taggart

I have an independently wealthy student who is in the market for a King Air model. His price range looks like it will put him in an early 1970’s C-90 model. Since I am nothing but a good piston driver, I no very little about Kings. Is there a book on King Airs? Or if people with prior experience in the 90s series King Air could fill in some basic information for me. Cruise speed, useful load, estimate fuel burn at cruise, and basic handling characteristics of an early C-90. My student will be hiring a pilot/instructor for the airplane when they get it, I just helping out with the early basics. Thanks in advance for the information.

He will find that the 90 is a very forgiving aircraft. The PT6 has a reputation of being almost bullet proof.

A couple of points though. What part of the country are you in? The C may not be the best a/c for where he is or is going to fly. If he is going to do a lot of high/hot, I would suggest at least looking at an E90. It will give you a little bit better high/hot perfomance. Also he might find a problem with insurance. Most of the insurance companies will require an approved school. FSI, Simuflite or simcom.

He will also need to seriously consider having a prepurchase inspection done on what ever aircraft he does consider buying. Once you start getting in this class of aircraft, mistakes start getting expensive. I suggest using a shop that has a lot, and I do mean A LOT of King Air experience for the pre-purchase.
Do not give heavy consideration to paint and interior, except to make use it is all there and working properly. The paint and interior can be easily taken care of.

Forgot to mention. The aircraft is a straight forward aircraft on the handling are. No bad vices. After all it has a Bonanza wing. Old technolgy but it works well. Steering during taxi is a little heavy, but no big deal. It is a matter of getting use to it. Biggest problem is landing gear. If the aircraft has the hydraulic conversion, that is a plus. If not, it is worth consideration. The original system is an electric motor via a bicycle chain. More than one pilot has landing with the nose gear partway up because the chain popped the sprocket. An important preflight item. Don't put off getting it tightened.

Flight planning. When I was flying the 90's I used 90 gal/hr 10,000 ft and below and 70 gal/hr from 10,000 to 15,000 and above 15,000 I used 60 gal/hr. I am conservative when it comes to fuel planning. It starts running out of steam in the low 20's. And I flight planned at 200 knots.

It's not a barn burner. Not overly flashy. But it does the job and is fairly comfortable.

My 90 experience is quite limited (I'm a 200 driver) but I'll second some of the prior comments. King Airs are stable, straightforward, good-flying airplanes. The PT6 is probably the best turboprop engine out there, with tons in service and easy access to maintenance.

I can guarantee that most any insurance company is going to want school ... Simcom, Simuflite, or FSI, so make sure your guy plans on that budget-wise.

A pre-buy is an absolute necessity, especially on an older airplane. Stevens Aviation and Piedmont Hawthorne both do a lot of King Air work; Stevens takes care of our airplane and they do very well, although they're not inexpensive.

Agree that P&I should be a minor consideration ... that can be upgraded later. I'll offer a little plug to Sky Harbour Aviation (Goderich, Ontario) for the paint ... they painted our 200 this year and they do fantastic work.

Best of luck ...

R

Thanks for the information. My student will be flying in Southern Califorina mostly. Trips between San Diego and San Francisco. He is planning on atteneding FS when he gets the airplane and hiring a pilot with King Air experiance for a year or so to overcome the insurance difficulties.

I have a few more spec questions: What is the useable load, and IFR range with full fuel (standard tanks)? What is the differance between the C-90 and the E-90s?

Thanks again

The major difference between the C and the E is the engines. They produce the same power, but the E's engine is flat rated. Therefore it can produce more power at higher altitudes and hotter temps. Considering the terrain in your area, I suggest that your student find AFM's for both aircraft and do take-off performance for some of the higher airports he plans on using. He will have to consider that places like Reno and Tahoe are really not that far away in a 90. At least he needs to be looking that way and understanding that there will be limitations no matter which aircraft he picks. Turbine aircraft, especially when you add airport altitude and/or temperature are not a fill the seats, tanks and baggage comparts and go type aircraft.

It has been awhile since I have flown a 90, but I do recall you have about 384 gallons of fuel. I don't remember right off hand what the useful load was for the C or E I flew, but remember it will vary depending on the aircraft and its equipment. But I do remember doing trips of four hours with 5 passenger and baggage.

Hope that helps.

In my opinion King Airs are the best turboprops ever made. Having said that I would be very careful buying one especially the 90 series, there are simply too many different options to know for sure if you are getting a good deal or not.

Consider this; there are A90's, B90's, C90's, C90A's, C90B's, and F90's. On all those airplanes you can have PT6-20, PT6-20A, PT6-21 or PT6-28 engines. They all produce between 500-550 hp. In addition the ORIGINAL overhaul on a PT6 engine is 2500 hours, MOST King Airs have had the AD done that increases the overhaul period to 3000 or 3600 hours. Bottom-line, you're probably better of hiring true, professional broker that knows the differences. Bubba at the FBO (who's bought a couple of Mooney's) isn't going to cut it.

Your questions: Usable load about 3300#'s, fuel capacity is 2563#s or 382 gallons. So with full fuel you can carry about 800#'s. IFR range is around 1000nm, obviously depending on winds and altitude. If you're hopping around down low, you have about 3 1/2 hours worth of fuel, if you can get up to the mid 20's you can go for about 5 1/2 hours. The difference between 90's is almost not noticeable, fuel tanks and some electrics, are about all I can think of. They all perform the same IF you they have equal engines (i.e. an A90 with -28's will perform the same as a C90B with -21's).

A trip from CRQ to OAK, will take you 2:02 using SID's and Stars, you'll burn about 140 gallons (S. Cal Jet A average $2.50 per gallon) cost about $350 for a 1 way trip to OAK.

The problem with going to school is that there are almost no 90 Sims around, FS LGB has a 200 Sims, so for the most part you will be playing in the 200 Sim then taking an hour of differences for 90 stuff (which is pretty worthless), I think FS ICT has a C90B Sim that is level D and has EFIS, etc, but what good is EFIS if your A/C doesn't have it.

For maintainance Raytheon has a facility in VNY, but the better one to go to is in LAS. 200 hour inspections cost about $16,000, props cost $12,000 (I can't rememeber the time interval, Hot Sections cost $50,000 @1500 hours and Overhauls cost $100,000 at 3000 hours (depending on what AD's have been complied with this can be 2500 hours to 3600 hours), in addition you can put the engines on the MORE program elliminating Overhauls (don't buy a King Air on the MORE program, its not a good thing).

Flying in SOCAL look for an airplane that has TCAS, hell, INSIST on it!

Insurance will cost a minimum of $11,000 annually, going up drastically if owner flown!

The 90's are all great airplanes, Cmd Taggart, you should really try to get that job! Absolutely no reason you shouldn’t, just hire an ICP to get you through the first couple months.

Good luck, selling the airplane, people love to TALK about buying an airplane, but most never sign the dotted line. Something about putting up the money makes the BS walk!

C90

The C90 is a good plane if you don't need to do a bunch of hot/high. Your useful load will be around 2700lbs or so ( that's a guess based on our C90B) depending on equipment, 500lbs more if its a Raisbeck converted plane. The older King Airs are going to fly mostly in the low to mid teens as far as altitude. The B90 I flew ten years ago had a cruise speed of 210, and was a pretty weak climber.
384 gallons of fuel. Swag method of trip planning - 600lbs first hour, 500lbs second hour, 450lbs thereafter. I think it was a 4.3 differential pressurization.
Difference between the C and E are engines. PT6-20 on the C and -28 on the E. I think the E may have a little more wing, another guess. Shy away from anything with the -21 engine.
A prebuy inspection on a King Air isn't a suggestion, it's mandatory. Common practice is to have Phase 1 - 4 inspection as a prebuy. Who pays for what is negotiated beforehand. Our prebuy on our last King Air ( Phase 1-4 at Raytheon) cost the seller about $30K.
Conklin and de Decker reports are a good source of information on cost.You can buy them through a link on ASO. Engines are 3500 hour TBO and around $150K per side for overhaul. Hot section inspection at 1750 hrs and around $18K a side if all is well. Add $19K per side if it needs new blades. Closely check the status of the 5 and 6 year overhaul inspect items as they can run a maintenance bill up quickly.Hope this helps.

501261 said:
Consider this; there are A90's, B90's, C90's, C90A's, C90B's, and F90's. On all those airplanes you can have PT6-20, PT6-20A, PT6-21 or PT6-28 engines. They all produce between 500-550 hp.

Just to clarify things a little.

The King Air F-90 has PT6A-135 engines that produce 750 hp per side. So if performance is what you need the F-90 is outstanding. It is the best King Air I ever flew (I Never flew the 300 or 350).

The F90's tend to be a little pricey. But you get a lot of bang for your buck. I've had climb rates of 3000 FPM+. Cruise about 40 Knots faster than a C90 at 270 KTAS. The ability to fly at 250 Knots INDICATED below 10,000' (in level flight) to keep up with jet traffic at high density airports (Even the 200 cannot do that). Single Engine climb is great. Runway performance is great.

If I ever buy a King Air for personal use someday :D, the F-90 is the one for me!

BTW, if you're not sure what a F-90 looks like, it is the only 90 with a T-Tail. Can be mistaken for a 200 until you realize its missing a few windows and is a little short.

Good Luck,
JetPilot500

Last edited:
Correction

The C90 has -21 engines and the A90 had -20's. The -21 is a great engine, the -20 is tough to get parts for and more expensive to maintain. I'll try not to post right after I wake up.

Latest resources

Back