Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JimG said:
You're kidding?

Mine is a '78 with brand new RAM VI's and I honestly get that 215-220kts at FL200+ (35" MP) according to my G430.

I've wondered if mine is on the fast side (every plane is unique), but that's a huge difference.

I haven't flown it often at a slow speed, but there were flights last winter after the engines were broken in, where I throttled back to save fuel as I was just building time for insurance purposes, but if memory serves me right, I was pulled back to 24"/2200rpm and getting 170+ knots or so....down low (12,000).

Man, that is nice. I file mine at 185 kts. I have never seen better and I cruise at 31.5" too (this gives about 18-19 per side an hour) ....
I don't think it has the RAM conversion though I will have to check on that :confused: (I know, sad that I am not too sure) although it does have the VGs (not too sure that that matters).

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I can't believe the difference!!

"...although it does have the VGs (not too sure that that matters)."

Don't mean to hijack a King Air thread with 340 talk either, but....

BTW...I typically cruise at 31.5", not the 35" I wrote the other night (it was late and I was tired and not thinking right I guess).

However, if I've got a stiff tailwind, I'll pull it back to 28" or less, depending on the wind and use whatever power settings that give me the best miles per gallon (digital fuel flows), rather than gallons per hour/speed.

The VG's and HP increase on the VI's increase payload #'s by 400 lbs., but they do cost you some speed. Not sure how much on the 340, but I know on my Bonanza, it was a good 5 knots at cruise.

It helped the handling qualities (v-tail waggle) and although they couldn't legally increase my payload #'s, she climbed out faster when at gross....but they cost me some speed.

One other thought...do you have the American Aviation intercoolers?

That's supposed to increase speed as well. AA claims something like 10+ ktas, but I'm not so sure. I have them, but I've never flown her without all the stuff to know for sure.

I file for 205 knots, and it works out about right, but I cruise at 215-220 ktas at altitude.

Don't know much about 340's, but I've always been leary of these twins with hopped up high horsepower engines. What's the TBO on a RAM conversion? The more horsepower you squeeze out of a recip the more likely it is to fail or wear out quickly. Some of these twins have the equivalent of dragster motors, ticking mechanical time bombs. You lose an engine in a 340 and the pucker factor goes way up, will it climb on one? I've flown King Airs and there is great peace of mind having those rock solid Pratts humming out there, much more reliable. A turbine engine isn't being strained producing 800 hp. In the unlikely event that you bag one, the plane will always fly. You might not get more speed, but the safety and reliability is worth the price in my opinion. Anyway most 90's are owner flown. I flew the 90 and it's a perfect family station wagon, you might look into one.

cezzna said:
will it climb on one?

well, my flight safety instructor swears up and down that it will and i fly the sim as if it would, but in reality (with mine, anyway) I seriously doubt it. Especially since I am always flying it right at max TO weight. (BTW JimG, my VGs only give me a 300 pound weight increase and I am not too sure about the speed sacrifice, I will have to take a look at that one)

cezzna said:
You might not get more speed, but the safety and reliability is worth the price in my opinion.

I completely agree.

cezzna said:
you might look into one

Boy, I sure wish I could!! Unfortunately, money is always the limiting factor in this situation....especially with gas prices what they are becoming.

cezzna

cezzna said:
Don't know much about 340's, but I've always been leary of these twins with hopped up high horsepower engines. What's the TBO on a RAM conversion? The more horsepower you squeeze out of a recip the more likely it is to fail or wear out quickly. Some of these twins have the equivalent of dragster motors, ticking mechanical time bombs. You lose an engine in a 340 and the pucker factor goes way up, will it climb on one? I've flown King Airs and there is great peace of mind having those rock solid Pratts humming out there, much more reliable. A turbine engine isn't being strained producing 800 hp. In the unlikely event that you bag one, the plane will always fly. You might not get more speed, but the safety and reliability is worth the price in my opinion. Anyway most 90's are owner flown. I flew the 90 and it's a perfect family station wagon, you might look into one.

A Ram conversion extends TBO from 1400 to 1600 hours. Not exactly making them "dragster motors" They rate the HP increase at 335, but I've read and been told it could be as much as +10 beyond that.

No question though that having a couple of P & W's out there would be nicer, but the 2 Continentals out there are alot nicer than the 1 I used to have.

Latest resources

Back