King Air 90 Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nosehair said:
Yeah, the answer to your question is...you don't need no stinkin' check-out. If you got a kingair an a multi engine rating...go for it.

If you've had 3 landings in the last 90 days in any multi engine, you're good to go..with pax.
Nosehair...
Let me know when you figure out how to start the thing. I'd really like to be there and watch when you load up the passengers and "go for it". :p

'Sled

At the first dropzone I flew at, the insurance company required at least 100 hrs multi to fly the King Air 90. I think I had somewhere around 1500 hrs TT. No formal training required, which I wish there was. I had flown jumpers for a couple seasons in a 206 and had been flying an Aztec part 135 when I started studying the BE65-90 flight manual very thoroughly. The boss man flew a couple loads with me riding along and then he rode along a couple hops and we were ready to go. Great airplane. Easier to fly than an Aztec or Baron. Most of the "advanced systems" had been deactivated per the STC, so it was pretty much a no-brainer (luckily for me, and the skydivers). It would be a stretch though for someone with only 20 hrs multi, especially if you were operating it the way it's supposed to operated, in the flight levels, pressurized and in all sorts of weather.

daysleeper2621 said:
quick question. What happens if you're flying an airplane that you are not covered by insurance in...
Believe me 400 hours, and 20 multi, and a King Air 90, you better have the insurance! (And in answer to an earlier question, no you don't need insurance if it's Part 91.)

I started flying a 90 with 100 multi and there for awhle I always had atleast one leg behind the aircraft. VFR days are allright, but start adding in increased workload (bad weather, single-pilot IFR, faulty equipment) and the last thing you need to be worrying about is how to fly the airplane.

Flying something like a King Air, multi-engine flying and technique needs to be second-nature to you. Don't be using an airplane of that type to be feeling out what multi-engine flying is all about or cutting your teeth per say. You'll get in trouble quicker then you can get out. Not saying it can't be done, but it's probably not the safest move for a guy with only 20 multi.

The fastest way to getting yourself killed is to follow the FARs. The FAA will let you do LOTS of stuff that just shouldn't be done.

What utter foolishness.

There are two tests of propriety in the aircraft. One is that you must be legal. Period.

The second is that you must be safe. Without question.

The first does not negate the second, nor does the second preempt the first. Both are possible, all the time, or you do not fly. Period.

There is no regulation preventing you from being more conservative than the regulation.

The regulation is written in blood. Failure to respect the regulation may result in both legal trouble, and the use of your blood to write more regulation.

We have enough regulation, thanks. Keep your blood. Follow what's already written.

Mmm. Care to give a location reference for the quote you just made up?

Care to intelligently comment with something that adds to the discussion?

Mmm. Didn't think so. Play again.

Let's not get our panties in a bunch here. I simply meant that too many people follow the FARs and don't have enough common sense to think about safety.

Just my $0.02 I have my ME with about 13 multi and 400TT, I've had the chance to fly a King Air Sim as well as the King Air 90 itself (not as PIC) I did my multi in a Baron which is fast, but it's no 90. The 90's a handful, it's fast (of course fun) but as one of my instructor's once said... "aviation's a ladder, skip a rung and the fall could kill you."

Of course it comes back to multi fundamentals, but add in a few systems and a little speed it can get away from you pretty quickly. There is something to be said for paying your dues and getting the experience...

now riding SIC (not the thread for all the logbook semantics), two thumbs up! That's one helluva monday morning!

spudskier said:
"Aviation's a ladder, skip a rung and the fall could kill you."
That's very profound. You don't often come across the profound around here. I had never heard it said like that before, but he is absolutely correct.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back