Killing the Race-2-The-Crapper

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Arrow11 said:
What would it take for the respective MECs to get together? Or are they not allowed to do that?
It takes strong leadership from an effective National Union.

Of course the first problem is that all these alter ego no brand airlines exist within the same brand's flying. We are all replaceable. We have lost our power to bargain collectively.

ALPA is the reason for the race for the bottom. ALPA is also our best hope for stopping it. All Duane Woerth has to do is stop signing concessionary and predatory contracts, even if they are member ratified. (Like he did with CC Air, although his motivations were different then) Step two will be a massive push for single carrier petitions to reduce the number of alter ego competitors.

Of course Duane doesn't want this. Candidly ALPA does not care a whit about the race for the bottom at our level. If small jet pilots can be used and abused to offset wages for his mainline buddies, Duane wins. After all, his pay is based on the highest mainline wages, not ours.

Control of the National Union is all about representation. Right now, small jet pilots have no voice because of the way the Executive Board is put together, the way almost all funds are discretionary and because there is no way to address grievances between members, or MEC's (there is no judicary, or balance of powers within ALPA).

If PCL128 is right about the control issue NWA wants over its regional feeder then we should hear about 9E's second ticket going by the way-side. Guess what I heard just yesterday? 9E second ticket is "Not even being considerd right now." When just two weeks ago that's all you heard out of Memphis. Big daddy wants that control!

It is going to take several of these pilot groups to stand up and say enough!! I just don't see it happening though.

When I used to hear people say

"If we don't get a fair contract, Ill walk and burn this place down!! Retro pay!! Retro pay!!"

I used to cringe and think now isn't the time to be so militant and short sighted. But now I really would rather do something else than accept a sub-standard deal. Next year someone will bid a lower cost structure.

In my dream world all pilots would shut down until ticket prices were raised $100 across the board.

Instead Jolene goes to www.unrealisticfares.com and books from Dothan AL. to Toronto for $89.00 RT. Wheres my dam P-nutts. Here, take my baby's diaper. Why is we late?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back