Kidney Stones

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bama*pilot

Has anyone had or know anyone who has had kidney stones that is a pilot? Also how did this effect their medical? Thank you.

Has anyone had or know anyone who has had kidney stones that is a pilot? Also how did this effect their medical? Thank you.
My best friend who flies for a major has had them 3 times in 10 years. The first time he reported it and had to get an okay note from a Urologist, no problem. Since he has to check the box asking about Kidney Stones in the past he never reported the next two....He said it was no big deal...Of course the kidney stone pain was a big deal..:=)

bama*pilot,

Kidney stones are a disqualifying condition. If you know someone with the problem they need to be very discrete about how they handle it when renewing a medical. Getting some advice from AOPA medical or some other person or organization with airmen's medicals before declaring the condition would be a good idea. The above post may be accurate but I would still be careful.

Good Luck

Last edited:
bama*pilot,

Kidney stones are a disqualifying condition. If you know someone with the problem they need to be very discrete about how they handle it when renewing a medical. Getting some advice from AOPA medical or some other person or organization with airmen's medicals before declaring the condition would be a good idea. The above post may be accurate but I would still be careful.

Good Luck

My Uncle had them and was out of flying for close to one year. Call the ALPA Doctors and talk to them.

A cautionary tale....

Best bet for all: Drink a lot of water, keep your unine clear, and eat cranberries!

Giving birth to a large kidney stone is not a life highlight, believe me.
Had one in 1992 or so, Doctor thinks it is an infection, sticks a catheter up my UNIT to drain, wore it for two day, pulled it out(on my own), and out pops a rock-sized stone! Yayyyy!!

Get this: the insurance companies don't want the doctor to use anesthetic when inserting the catheter!! Kind of like working for nwa, where they won't even use the 'lube when screwing you!!

one of our pilot just lost his medical due to kidney stones. that why i don't drink the coffe among other reasons.

I flew with a guy that had kidney stones and he had some issues keeping his medical. Can't remember the specifics but I recall him saying that the FAA Docs had a "___ strikes and you're out" rule. I have no idea if that is accurate but after listening to him tell me about passing the stones one thing is for sure...I'm drinking more water than I ever have!!

Best of luck to those dealing with this...

TF

I had a kidney stone start the ureter two-step in flight last year. It was "uncomfortable" during the approach and landing, and got progressively more painful after I deplaned.

I went to the ER, where the sight of an airline pilot, in uniform, doubled-over holding his side and moaning, got me immediate attention. It hurt so bad I was puking all over the examining room. The doctor grabbed by arm, and told me "hold still for 3-seconds so I can put you in the Magic Kingdom", then injected morphine.

It felt good.

They found a 6mm stone lodged in the ureter (between kidney and bladder) and set me up for a procedure where they stick a knitting needle up the (ahem) only open access and fished it out. I was asleep.

If it is your first experience with stones, you will get your medical back once they take a KUB x-ray and the radiologist states you are "stone free". Your AME can issue the First Class medical immediately based on that. You will then get another First Class certificate from Dr. Silberman, the FAA dude. You'll also get a letter that explains if you have them again, you are in deeper doo doo. You will NOT be required to have an x-ray done for future physicals.

Recovered stones are analyzed to determine their constituency. Some can be caused by people to take too much vitamin "C", and some can be caused by other specific practices...but the #1 cause is typically just not enough water.

ALPA Aeromedical held my hand the whole way, so the process was administratively painless. They tell me that a second episode could lead to two outcomes:

1. Restricted medical. Would require a KUB x-ray every 6-months in conjunction with my physical. Any detected stones would have to be "less than 2mm" and I'd be grounded until they passed. With a history of a "greater than 2mm" stone, this option is unlikely.

2. Disqualification. If you're a stone factory, they won't let you fly.

I had a student with severe pain during a lesson. I don't wish that on anyone, unless you're a Bama fan. Just kidding. "Fear the thumb" - couldn't resist.;)

I had a 8mm stone about 3 years ago. Here is the deal. You cannot fly with retained stones. You have to be stone free. The Faa does not care about the first stone. After that, it is up to the faa on a case by case basis. ALPA told me that no one had ever been denied a medical if they could prove they would remain stone free. Some types of stones are more frequent than others. Here is the catch, after your first stone, your medical has to be approved by OKC. If they want too, they can make your medical process hell. The more stones you have, the harder they are going to look at you. For Captains, going thru this every six months gets old.

So here is the way I feel about it. After your first stone, drink lots of water and if you have another stone, try to pass it on your own so that you are not "diagnosed" with another stone.

PM me if you have any questions,

SF3CA

Latest resources

Back