• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kidney Stones

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I myself have had 3 I reported the first one during my first military flight physical. I had 2 more during the military. . . don't report it if you can. Don't go to the Dr. if you can SWEAT it out, PAINFUL. Just get a lot of perscription drugs and fight it.

Buddy of mine had it happen while on a layover in Anchorage about six weeks ago. Second one he's had, first while with his airline. Went through surgery twice, accompanied by the assorted accessories left hanging out of him, and still hasn't gotten his medical back. Even though he's symptom free, the x-ray shows one teency-weency little stone in his kidney. Until he passes that, he's grounded. The doctors basically said "Some guys pass it in 6 days, some it takes 6 months. Good luck to you, have a nice day. Call us when you pass it." He's still waiting to pass it. He's wishing it would have happened while he was at home so he could have chewed on a knotted rope and passed it himself instead of while on a layover.

A "friend" in my neck of the woods who retired from AA a few years back had them twice. I short he called in sick or took time off for medical reasons (not real clear on that part) passed them and went back to work without telling the "fuzz" - what OKC knows won't hurt them he says.

Holy crap Batman. How do you guys know it's a stone? Just hurts like the mother of all pain? Starts dull and crescendos as you pass it?

I've never been there and I'm sorry if I'm making you relive it but I'd like to know ahead of time so if my pecker explodes I can at least know what happened.

Waterboy

I have had around 50 stones in the past 10 years. Most of the time they have been calcium stones out of the left kidney! The first stone put me on my butt in the er! Pain was unreal! After that when I got one I would double up on extra strength tylenol and drink lots of water! If you go to the er, you'll get the IVP before pain meds! I guess a lot of people come in faking stones! I had one massive stone stuck for around a month, and had it surgicaly removed. I had lithotripsy another times. The rest of the times, I did not know one was coming until the last hour or so! I never reported it! I am able to control my pain with just tylenol, and have never missed a trip! I am sure glad I was on the ground when the first one hit!

Holy crap Batman. How do you guys know it's a stone? Just hurts like the mother of all pain? Starts dull and crescendos as you pass it?

Remember that scene in the movie "Alien" when the creature popped out of the guy's chest? Mine felt like that...only worse.

Actually, it started out as a sharp pain that ebbed, then cycled. Each cycle got worse. The yucky part is it never ends until that rascal pops into the bladder. The pain comes from the dilated ureter. The tissue isn't used to it and it goes to DEFCON 1 when the stone stretches it out.

For me the pain was higher up (in location) than I thought it would be.

I never felt the 4 other mini me stones pass. I caught them in the nifty little strainer they give you at the urologist's office. They looked like tiny nuggets, were hard to the touch, and tasted like rock salt. <-- That's a joke, Magnum!...don't eat them!

A combination of potassium and magnesium (standard supplement format) have a remarkable effect on future stones.

From the web:

Potassium magnesium citrate is a combination available over the counter, which is proving to be very beneficial in preventing kidney stones and even a better option than the more commonly used potassium-only formulations. In one study, it reduced the risk for kidney stone recurrence by 85%.

Potassium citrate (K-Lyte, Polycitra-K, Urocit-K) elevates citrate levels in the urine and reduces calcium excretion and recurrence of stones regardless of the cause of hypocitruria. It is given as a sole treatment to people with normal urine calcium levels. Between 70% and 75% of patients with recurrent stones have experienced remission with potassium citrate therapy. Magnesium citrate (Citroma, Citro-Nesia) may be useful for people who develop calcium stones from impaired intestinal absorption due to small bowel disease.

I had one on a layover a few years ago, I did not know a human could tolerate so much pain. Once you are in the club, you are highly motivated to drink water till you float! Kudos to ALPA Aeromedical, they made several years of dues worthwhile. I passed the first in the ER but the x-ray showed that I had 3 more, so the next week they blasted me, I passed the next 3 over a 4 day period(worse pain than #1). All total, I was back flying in 21/2 weeks thanks to the Docs in Denver. From talking around w/ other "Stone Survivors", I think that I will try my best to not let them know in OKC.
My Prays are with you if you have one!!

I'm convinced.

I never want to experience one of these. I'm going to start drinking more water and go find some potassium magnesium supplements.

Good info. Thanks to all who have posted.

Latest resources

Back