Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OneBadLT123

Kiah Khou

Any idea when the airports are going to close? And have they started ferrying out the aircraft from the area? I need to get home ASAP and flight into either airport would be the best option. Otherwise I would probally have to go into KSAT or KAUS

Last edited:
Continental/ExpressJet are planning to suspend operations after 12:00 noon on Friday at IAH. It's a madhouse there right now...

OneBadLT123 said:
Any idea when the airports are going to close? And have they started ferrying out the aircraft from the area? I need to get home ASAP and flight into either airport would be the best option. Otherwise I would probally have to go into KSAT or KAUS

When I read your subject i was like...wtf is that some sort of island language...i didnt notice it was airport codes at first

Yeah, im going on the first flight tomorrow morning to San Antonio, my father is going to meet me there, and we're going to drive down what of I-10 we can then take the state highways back to the houston area.

I figured tomorrow all flights were going to be suspended.

Oh and sorry about the title, for some reason it didnt allow the cap latters.

Wankel7 said:
When I read your subject i was like...wtf is that some sort of island language...i didnt notice it was airport codes at first

me too

filller

TAF? since when are they right? You'd be just as well off reading the back page of USA Today in all its colorful glory.

Disclaimer: not that I could do better.

dispatcher121 said:
If you look at the satellite image, Rita took a right turn and is now headed ENE.
It looks like MSY will be the winner again...

click here: Hurricane Rita

Also if you check the TAF's, it looks like HOU and IAH are going to get some winds but no bitch slap from Rita.

click here: TAF

For what it's worth...
The TAFs don't mean sh*t when a hurricane is coming. We're MSY based and watched Katrina do it's thing (from a distance after we evac'ed all our ppl.) The TAF barely showed any wind and VFR wx right up through landfall. I watched the METARS report right up to 80KTS and then for some reason there were none for a few days.

Also, at MSY, at noon the day before landfall, the airport manager and tenants had a meeting and decided the airport would close at 70KT sustained winds. I know the "FBO" at RKP was closed this morning and I'm sure all the small coastal airports are the same.

I was supposed to pick a friend up from DWH in my plane today, but he couldn't get to the airport (after he spent 10hours in traffic and went 5 miles yesterday.) Apparently as soon as one gets remotely close to a highway, you are detoured onto the highway and headed inland so I wouldn't plan on going into houston by car. The roads are one-way up to 120miles out.

Latest resources

Back