• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kenn Ricci Wants to Bring Back SFO Program

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Man, I feel so badly for those of my friends who are still at Options and having to deal with this nonsense. I am so glad I left there and wouldn't go back if it were the last flying job on earth!

Excerpts from Management by Trust by Kenn Ricci. Bold text = Emphasis added

SFO program.

“Next came an interview with a team of Senior Flight Officers (a jury of their peers, so to speak) as well as the candidate’s immediate supervisor and one member of upper management.…

A Jury of their Peers !!!!!!

So it looks like the IBT 1108 will have half of the representatives on the board to decide who becomes a SFO.

Thats good.

Some of the requirements should be:

1. Member in good standing
2. Dues paid in full from Day One
3. being a volunteer on one of the union committees.
4.flying a safe aircraft and not carrying write ups
5. being recommended by a member of the MEC
6. NO SFO program until all the furloughed pilots are brought back to work.

Those are only a few on the requirements I have when it comes to the SFO program.

Last edited:
Hey now....

Unless he's going to hire and have a bunch of pilots trained prior to doing so, this will be way more than a one day shutdown. Even if he goes this route, the newly hired pilots will have to undergo IOE and most of the current Check Airmen will not do IOE's with these replacements knowing that FLOPS pilots are on the street....not to mention that the line pilots will start grounding airplanes as soon as word of these IOE's spreads.

Otherwise, if Ricci thinks that FLOPS' current pilot group will just go along with a shutdown, name change and continue as if nothing happened the next day, he's got a big surprise coming....the least of which being pissed off owners due to the ensuing mass of write-ups and sick calls.

But...but I thought you only wrote up broken airplanes. Does this mean your preflight details change to track the feelings of the Union?
I think you pretty much admitted that here...

But...but I thought you only wrote up broken airplanes. Does this mean your preflight details change to track the feelings of the Union?

Wouldn't have to be write ups, Skumza. We're required to meet FAR Part 67 requirements for fitness at all times. Right now, the Swine Flu is reaching pandemic proportions and it might not go away for quite some time.

Sure hope I don't catch that stuff. Especially if I'm on duty.

Last edited:

Nope, you're wrong again. I know that you like to make straw man arguments because your position is so weak. A. I didn't say anything about the feelings of any unions. Besides, the 1108 has never/would never encourage any write-up campaigns, implicit or otherwise.

Not in this post, not in any post have I ever advocated making false write-ups. I am just saying that, in general, many pissed off pilots tend to not overlook the so-called small stuff that pilots overlook every day in the name of getting the job done. Apparently, you don't fly for a living. Get real.

Last edited:
Nope, you're wrong again. I know that you like to make straw man arguments because your position is so weak. A. I didn't say anything about the feelings of any unions. Besides, the 1108 has never/would never encourage any write-up campaigns, implicit or otherwise.

Not in this post, not in any post have I ever advocated making false write-ups. I am just saying that, in general, many pissed off pilots tend to not overlook the so-called small stuff that pilots overlook every day in the name of getting the job done. Apparently, you don't fly for a living. Get real.

No, you get real.
Again, I thought you guys were all about "Safety" and there are no "small things"! "These planes have to be like bran new god-dammit, or I'm not flying." "Remember do nothing illegal for or against the company." And all that horse sh!t. Well I'm sorry, a professional preflights only on way - either over look the "small stuff" or nit-pick the sh!t out of the airplane every time, not depending on how pissed off you are. Ever had human factors training?

Apparently you don't fly for a living either...

abuse

Wouldn't have to be write ups, Skumza. We're required to meet FAR Part 67 requirements for fitness at all times. Right now, the Swine Flu is reaching pandemic proportions and it might not go away for quite some time.

Sure hope I don't catch that stuff. Especially if I'm on duty.

This is silly. I know, only *you* know if you're fit to fly or not. Its the perfect cover for you - take your stand, make your point, stall the operation. Because nobody will question you. It's a shame that you would abuse that trust in the name of your and the union's own greed. Now that's pro...

No, you get real.
Again, I thought you guys were all about "Safety" and there are no "small things"! "These planes have to be like bran new god-dammit, or I'm not flying." "Remember do nothing illegal for or against the company." And all that horse sh!t. Well I'm sorry, a professional preflights only on way - either over look the "small stuff" or nit-pick the sh!t out of the airplane every time, not depending on how pissed off you are. Ever had human factors training?

Once again, you talk out of your ass. Do nothing illegal for or against the company, damn right......no inconsistency exists. There is reality and there is a safe little fantasy world. You obviously take ownership of the latter.

Apparently you don't fly for a living either...

You admit you don't.....finally. If you did fly for a living, you'd know full well that any company in the business of flying would not last long if pilots are downing and airplane for, i.e., a placard with questionable readability. See, we professional pilots get paid to exercise discretion and decision making but, you would know nothing about that. The legality of this situation is highly subjective in favor of the pilots. Such a case would never make it to court. However, if it did, the FAA would lose. See the difference? Being that you do not fly for a living (and your feeble mind) probably not.

Last edited:
Skanza,

We've all been in a position where the answer isn't black and white. Surely you can think of a time when maintance asks the line pilots if they feel comfortable ferrying an aircraft to a maintainance facility, or "something" seems just a little "off", but the pilots decide to finish the day prior to troubleshooting a problem which may have very little to do with the actual safety of flight. Neither answer is the wrong answer. The pilots may feel that they aren't willing to take on additional risk by flying a plane that doesn't seem to be working correctly. Other times the flight crew may feel ok with the decision to continue on to a maintance facility thereby helping the company.

It is important for management and pilots to work in each other's best interest for the good of the company. In this case, if the pilots don't feel as though they are being treated fairly, they may decide to not make an extra flight, or they may decide that the plane shouldn't finish the day (both perfectly acceptable and legal decisions).

The feeling of empowerment of the pilots directly or sometimes even unconsiously, affects the pilot's decesion making process. Speaking for myself, I believe that part of the hiring process was designed to test my decision making skills. It seems that more and more often management teams are taking away the ability of the pilots to make the decisions, some of which they are in the best position to make.

IP

Latest resources

Back