Katrina update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ISaidRightTurns

I will pass this along for anyone with family and friends in the Mississippi Gulf Coast and East Louisiana.

My family all lives in or around Bay St. Louis, MS. Every one left but my dad who stayed to watch the houses and investments.

Late Sunday night, the storm was too close and too bad to stay, so my dad evacuated to the east. The rest of the family was in Jackson, MS. My dad made it to pascagula to ride out the storm. After about 3pm Monday, we started driving west to see if he could make it to the hangers at HSA or the runway at 66Y.

According to him, everything south of I10 is unlivable, with many buildings missing and all damaged. Hwy 603 into Waveland/Bay St. Louis is a river and unpassable. Hwy 90 (Exit 2) off of I10 has become a refugee camp at the rest area, which is near where the water peaked. People tried to seek refuge at Stennis Space Center, but were told to wait at the restarea. Looting in Diamondhead is rampant. Pass Christian is gond from what he can tell.

Hope this helps people who have been looking for this information and only getting NO/Mobile stuff.

Everyone is OK and on their way to ATL to stay with me. We think as a family we lost 4 houses, 5 rental house, a strip mall, a convenience store and all the planes.

If anyone is going to fly in the area of HSA please take pictures of the north T-Hangers.

If anyone will be flying around Jordan River/Bayou LaCroix area, please take pictures and post.

How does the insurance work for those that have it? I noticed my own policy excludes flood damage > that is a separate policy (I am no where near water).
Can people in the flood areas even get insurance? If they do, would the ins co try to deny claims based upon it being a natural disaster or are they very cooperative?

My prayers for those suffering human and material losses in this storm.

GravityHater said:
How does the insurance work for those that have it? I noticed my own policy excludes flood damage > that is a separate policy (I am no where near water).
Can people in the flood areas even get insurance? If they do, would the ins co try to deny claims based upon it being a natural disaster or are they very cooperative?

My prayers for those suffering human and material losses in this storm.

They all have flood insurance. I am not sure how it works with FEMA and all, but we are trying to figure it all out. The homes are on the East Bayou off Bayou Lacroix north of Bay St. Louis / Waveland. If anyone flies that way please let us now what to expect. This is on or near the GPT255020.

I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. At least everyone is OK and that's obviously the most important thing. Sounds like your dad did the smart thing and got out while he still could.

Update on Bay St. Louis

CNN's Gary Tuckman has made it into Bay St. Louis. His opening shot was from one side of the bay standing on Hwy 90. The bridge across the bay has been completely destroyed. Only bridge support structure is left, no roadway. Otherwise rest of area looks pretty bad, tough to tell as video feed was via video phone.

Last edited:
Yikes!

My parents just moved from Diamondhead (66Y) over to Madisonville, La. I am thinking that the Diamondhead yacht club is toast from your description.

Hopefully Lil Ray's survived!! That is very important!!

Glad nobody was hurt and thnaks for the update.

Heyas,

The governor just announced that the entire city of New Orleans is to be evacuated. There are at least 2 levee breeches, and the city is filling up with water. MSY and NEW are underwater.

Martial law has been delcared in 2 Parishes.

Absolutely horriffic...

Nu

Latest resources

Back