Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rk772

Here we go STEELERS!!
I'm going to aspen in the Ultra and I'm looking for a good landing alternate in case the ceillings get too low. I don't have alot of experience with this part of the country.

Thanks

G.a.

The first concern is your missed approach climb gradient to get out of there. This can be a real problem.

Secondly I never accept another complex approach on top of the first. These can be EGE and RIL. GJT is a good choice 95% of the time, but be prepared and never rule out APA and DEN.

Still Climbing

Eagle, Montrose..........if you are new to the mountains don't even play with a "low" approach into ASE. On a good day it is a very steep approach. My feelings about ASE are, DON'T START WHAT YOU CAN'T FINISH!!!!!! Eagle is a $200.00 limo ride from EGE. Not a big deal when you consider to downside.

rk772 said:
I'm going to aspen in the Ultra and I'm looking for a good landing alternate in case the ceillings get too low. I don't have alot of experience with this part of the country.

Thanks

Rifle has an ILS. The thing to remember is " configuration, configuration,configuration " at Aspen. Flaps and gear out and ref +20 /-0 crossing Red Table.

Just a suggestion,

Sit down the day before with the plates for Aspen and Rifle in front of you and brief both approaches. Make sure you are both familiar with the airspace geometry, procedures and terrain. A good rule of thumb going into ASE time is your ceiling should be no lower than MVA. Discuss how you are going to do the visual, where you'll configure, in short: every contingency. They guy who mentioned configured at Red Table is right on. Take your time, brief the heck out of everything and have fun.

Latest resources

Back