kansas city pilot jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aland504

hey all, does anyone know of any good cargo or charter companies in the kansas city area? i used to fly for the airlines, but it is not the lifestyle for me. am hoping to find a job locally in kansas city, besides instructing. any ideas please please hit me up. thanks

Are you looking for long-term employment? A way to build time and move on? There are a few 135 freight ops on the filed at Downtown (MKC):

- Central Air Southwest www.centralairsouthwest.com operates Twin Commanders flying checks and boxes of pee all over. The HQ is at MKC, but they have planes all over the Midwest. Pay sucks, but was a decent place to build up time. I'm glad I worked there; good people and a bunch of fun guys (at the time) to work with. The planes are very old, but maintained well. It sucked filling the TKS tank in the middle of a blizzard in MSP at 1:00am, lol!!

- Flight Express has a few C-210s based on the field; could check them out.

- Safe Wings (dunno website) is on the field as well, utilizing Lances and Aztecs to fly checks around. Don't know much about them.

If you used to be airlines, you could look at http://www.execairshare.com/ too. They're a Charter/Frax operator with a/c in Kansas City, as well as a few other places around KS and OK. I interviewed with the CP, DO, and another fellow and was offered a job, but stayed with my current company for the time being. Those guys were very nice and it was tough turning them down. I'm still considering them for the future. They have C90s, BE350s, Beechjets, and have a lot of EMB Phenoms on order. I have a few friends that work there and seem to like it. If you lack the FAR 135 mins, they might be your best bet since they operate PIC/SIC on a lot of what they do.

Hope that helps.

I used to fly for Flight Express out of CPS. As far as I know all of their KC based routes are currently subcontracted (mostly to Safewing, I think). This could mean that they want pilots for KC in a big way, or it could mean that they're happy with the contractors they have, I don't know. If you're so inclined, call Gary Hillyer at 1800OPSKORL ext. 613. He's a great guy and will give you the straight dope. I think starting pay is $12/duty hour, meaning that if you get a long run, you can make a decent living. A lot of the CPS runs are 12-14 hour duty days with maybe 4 hours of flying, I don't know about KC. Five days a week, mostly day runs, almost all bank checks. I found it a great place to work. Of course YMMV. There is no training contract, although they give you a $1000 bonus when you complete training, but want it back if you don't stay for 6 months. Sort of a stealth contract, I guess you could say. If you don't want it, though, you can give the check right back when they push it across the table.

I don't know too much about pay/conditions at Safewing. It seemed like most of the guys flying for them were older guys who were moonlighting.

I ran in to a bunch of CASW guys flying for FLX. They seemed generally satisfied with the job. It apparently doesn't pay quite as well as FLX, at least to start, but you start in a twin. If you have airline experience, this may not be so important to you. I believe they do have a 6 month training contract of some kind.

None of them are exactly top tier jobs, but they beat the heck out of instructing. Might not be a bad place to hang your hat while you wait for something more in line with your qualifications to come along.

Good luck.

Executive Air Shares is a growing fractional that operates out of Down Town. I've talked to them, and they seem like a great group. Their pay is borderline competetive.

TAMKO in Joplin

Good corporate job available in Joplin. Good guys and a nice Be-400.
Regards,

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I will defenitely be checking these out. Yeah I used to fly for the airlines, but really could not deal with the lifestyle. Thanks again

Central Air is currently looking for a Kansas City based pilot to fly out of MKC. PM me if you want some more info.

I'll second the CASW. The pay isn't great but the commander is a real kick in the nads to fly and you are home everyday. You might be a little over qualified, but I doubt they will hold that against you. And where else can you learn Townerisms? Get your head out of your bo bo and give them a call. Good luck in your hunt.

Latest resources

Back