Kalitta Charters Lear Jet Operator

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly everything

At Kalitta you fly both LJ and DA, it was $250/wk to start, no pre-deim unless over night then they gave you $10. I believe ithey nterchange crews on pax and cargo, with some marked as first choice for pax. Do a scearch under Kalitta there has been a lot of posts our the past couple years. We have hired a few Kalitta guys, all have turned out to be good catches.

Last edited:
It's amazing how fast pilots bash a company they know nothing about.
Here is the low down:
Owner: Doug Kalitta
Aircraft: LJ-25,35,36, DA-20, BE-200
20% Passenger, 50% Air ambulance, and 30% Freight.
FO's fly all types and configs.
Most Captains are dual qualified for LJ and DA20. Some captains are DA20 freight only.

Pay:
based on guarantee(variable), milage(variable), perdeim($1.50/hr) , and wait time($15/hr)
FO's
First year tipically $18,000-22,000 depending on how much you fly
Second year $32,000-40,000

Captain's
$55,000-90,000+ about a three year upgrade

Schedule: 2 weeks on 1 week off. I know exactly what days off I have for the rest of the year! I like the company but it definetly has its down sides like any other 135 on demand. You are on call 24 hours during your 2 weeks on, this means being within 20 min from YIP or MOR. You are at home about 50% of your two weeks on. The aircraft are old but are standardized and maintained well. Unlike some freight only operators, Kalitta's A/C look half way acceptable.
If you don't mind being on call then kalitta is the place to be. If you can't handle flying several different models of Jets in all different types of configs (PAX,Ambo,Frt) all over North, Latin, South America, and Europe then this is not the job for you.

Punisher, but am I wrong F/O base pay is $250/wk for the first six months with no per-diem the first six months, training contract, hire Capts off the street? I am only trying to verify information I have been given by pilots I have interviewed. No intent bash or slam, just collecting into.

YIP
First 6 month base pay is $250 per week, with no mileage(mileage starts after 6 months). You start getting perdiem on your first trip, $1.50 hr. and wait time $15/hr. There are no training contracts, that is probably why the pay sucks for the first year. They try to upgrade within as much as possible but there are 3 captains that were hired off the street in the past 5 years or so.

Thanks for the info, Erik and Caleb are working here now doing a good job for us.

Just a quick queston if I may. At one time I believe this operation had a B-727 for cargo. Is that aircraft still on line, and if so, does anybody have any information on Flight Engineers slots, requirements and other particulars?

Thanks

The 727/DC-9 is Kalitta Charters II, a seperate 121 certificate from the 747 operater. I believe they have 1 DC-9 and 3 727's. The DC-9 flies on-demand, the 727's are on the Emery runs.

Is there anything at YIP that doesn't involve short callout times? It seems that everything around there involves 30 minutes or less callout, with very few days that you don't have to be packed dressed and ready to run out the door. Does anyone operate scheduled stuff that can be bid for day one?

Kalitta Charters II has 4 727's. I don't think they are hiring right now.

The schedule for Kalitta Charters I is; two weeks on one week off. This is the standard FO schedule and it is now being offered to all new captains. They are taking resumes for future classes.

Callouts: Freight 45 min
Pax/Ambo 2 hour

Latest resources

Back