Kalitta Air Interviewing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hkgorbust

Kalitta Air is calling folks for interviews.

F/O's with 4000+ TT, 1000+ PIC including turbine time, ATP written.
ATP, glass, international & heavy time have the advantage. Upgrade relatively short (possibly < a year)! Hiring F/O's with the background and time for a quick upgrade.

S/O & PFE requirements vary. FE ticket or FE written definitely required. Appear to be leaning toward the PFE types.

Pay is not so good but there may be light on the horizon in that area. 17 days straight on duty.

Check the kalittaair.com website for info for sending resumes. Phone calls and walk-ins are NOT encouraged. (Read as: don't call or walk in)

Everybody's heard the negative about Kalitta, but the times, they are a changin'. This could be a good opportunity to get in on the leading edge of a large crew expansion.

It ain't perfect, but its better than a lot of what's out there. Business is good, more airplanes coming, no layoffs and the pay is on time. Some old airplanes, but probably the best equipped fleet of 747 Classic freighters you'll find.

No matter how you try to dress this one up, it's still a pig. Also, that one year upgrade thing is not happening. You should know better. People may use that in their decision to go there. Be honest.

No matter how you try to dress this one up, it's still a pig. Also, that one year upgrade thing is not happening. You should know better. People may use that in their decision to go there. Be honest.

Touche' on the dress up comment!
But that's "pretty friggin' attractive pig" to you, sir. :D

I'm not trying to deceive anyone. Look at the numbers.
Current fleet is 16. Three more flying airframes by fall (the deal is done). That makes 19 by year end. How many crews does it take to staff 19 airplanes? Don't fail to overlook the probability of future acquisitions.

My supposition on the one year upgrade is based on the current crew levels (about 70 give or take) and the projected crew levels (around 140). There will continue to be attrition due to recalls, retirements and job changes. It will take time to reach that goal, but some F/Os who haven't been hired yet will be in the left seat when its all done.

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I liked working at Kalitta Air. I was awarded a Captain position after 14 months but training was pushed back 7 months due to shortages in other seats. This kind of flying is not for everyone. You work 17 days a month either sitting in a hotel room or flying over the Indian Ocean-- you are gone. 17 days was a little long for me but on the flip side 13 - 14 days off in a row is nice. What a great bunch of talented pilots, I miss being a part of it. I hope they get the improvements that they deserve in the next contract as Kalitta Air could be a truely great place to work.

I also like it here. The 17 days can be long but having 14 days off in a row is great. I would be working the same amount of days on average at other places. Working 17 days at a time means I commute once each way every month and the company pays for my ticket. Flight is full.. not my problem. Weather is bad.. not my problem. Plane broke.. not my problem. Plus you get frequent flyer miles.

The crews here are great. These are the best equipped classics around. We fly to places others haven't even heard of. Getting stuck in Hong Kong for 5 days can be a blast. And of course, flying the queen on the skies is nice also. I never would have thought I would get a chance to fly it. It’s a great airplane.

The pay could be better but that hopefully will change soon. Many positive changes are happening in YIP these days (Union rep in YIP, New Chief pilot who was a line pilot and well liked by most, etc...)

There are some here that can't wait to get out. The ones I have met are mostly furloughed guys who came from the legacy carriers. I came from the commuters so I guess I don't know any better. My QOL is much better here than my previous job.

What are the benefits like... family health/dental monthly costs etc? Do most pilots get only the monthly mins or is there more flying done in the 17 days? Thanks.

Latest resources

Back