Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey embpic1,

Who's PBY did/are you flying?

Is that the one that got damaged in the storm up in MN?

Is it as loud as they say it is?

CWI

Hey embpic1,

Who's PBY did/are you flying?

Is that the one that got damaged in the storm up in MN?

Is it as loud as they say it is?

CWI

Yup. That was N7179Y. A PBY 6A. I was a co-pilot on it and flew it to air shows and such. I was actually the last one to land it before the storm flipped it over. It belongs to the CAF and is assigned to the Southern Minnesota Wing. It is in the (very slow) process of being rebuilt.

And yes it is extremely loud. Especially on T/O. There was no way to verbally communicate at T/O power (48 inches man). We had to use hand signals for METO and climb power.

Why can't it be one of the crappy birds like 709 or 710??

704 is one of our better ones.

or 712, isn't that thing built in 1970?

there were 5 people, two pilots, one engineer, one MX one loadmaster..............

Yup. That was N7179Y. A PBY 6A. I was a co-pilot on it and flew it to air shows and such. I was actually the last one to land it before the storm flipped it over. It belongs to the CAF and is assigned to the Southern Minnesota Wing. It is in the (very slow) process of being rebuilt.

And yes it is extremely loud. Especially on T/O. There was no way to verbally communicate at T/O power (48 inches man). We had to use hand signals for METO and climb power.

Formerly belonging to Flying Firemen, out of California.

The PB4Y was the same way; too loud for any verbal communication during takeoff or high power settings. Everything done by hand.

you guys have 1830's right? I feel your pain,in our C47 before we put in an intercom,comms were strictly hand signals till cruise.

you guys have 1830's right? I feel your pain,in our C47 before we put in an intercom,comms were strictly hand signals till cruise.

1830-92s

or 712, isn't that thing built in 1970?

there were 5 people, two pilots, one engineer, one MX one loadmaster..............

I also heard there was a courier on board.

I used to know a guy who flew those things for the forest service back in the days before hearing protection was mandatory. He used hand signals then, and still uses them now. Even at the dinner table.

Deaf as a clam, but what stories he can tell...

Latest resources

Back