• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

KAL non type rated 777 Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can remember when KAL consisted of 3 C-117's (C-47's with an airline interior) and then suddenly there were only 2 because they groundlooped one on take-off at K-9 Pusan. The wreck lay for months on its belly between the taxiway and runway with the insignia painted out in the finest 1930's US tradition. <grin>

I think the point you are missing is that he brought most of his problems on himself. That's not to say that I defend Korean's training style or the fact that they have certain check airman who might be less than 100% professional.

What I am saying is that attitude as an expat is just as important, if not more so, than ability. That particular pilot very clearly had a negative attitude and was not willing to adapt to KAL's culture. He was judgmental, argumentative, and unaccepting of the way that KAL wanted him to operate the aircraft.

TP
I wonder who you work for for? How can you assume that this DL pilot did not adapt to the Korean culture. Do you know the Asian culture? Do you know the European culture? I trained in the US and work in Europe and I can tell you that things are different. Not one thing or detail, but everything. I am from Europe and I am dealing with it, but it's hard. We have a joke among the regular line pilots, Whenever you are in training, get the "yes box" out. During debriefings, line checks, type ratings, only 1 possible answer...YES sir! "you ********************ed up"...yes sir, "you can't fly"...yes sir! ect... I have be told that the upgrade process is like a play. Learn you're part, go through the pile of books and no mater what, say...Yes sir! Well, I got in this business to be a pilot, not an actor! I use to fly for a Cargo Company in Luxembourg, and pilots were from all over. I flew with Koreans. Very nice people indeed, but it was hard to communicate due to their poor command of English...and we had those who could speak the best. I also heard numerous stories of colleagues coming from an Asian company, who had been promised an upgrade that never came, were lied to concerning their starting date, thus affecting how much time they owed the company... I know a guy from Scandinavia who was sued by Singapore Airlines because he had left to early (according to them, not to him...but you're always wrong with these people), and had to pay insane amounts of money. What I am trying to say, is that it's easy to point your finger at people when you have not been out of your turf. Maybe you have, and I apologize if all this is familiar to you, but I have worked in the US and European system. I have adapted to my company's culture. I am trying not to be judgmental, argumentative, and unaccepting of the way that my airline wants me to operate the aircraft. Still...easier said than done. The good part: I have a job.

I wonder who you work for for? An airline with over 70 different nationalities of flight deck crew.

How can you assume that this DL pilot did not adapt to the Korean culture. Not an assumption. I know people who interacted with him in training. Even if I didn't one only needs to read the tone of his letter to figure it out.

Do you know the Asian culture? Yes, very well actually. I speak an Asian language and have lived and worked in Asia.

Do you know the European culture? I'd have to say yes to that, but it's not material in this case.

I trained in the US and work in Europe and I can tell you that things are different. Not one thing or detail, but everything. I am from Europe and I am dealing with it, but it's hard. We have a joke among the regular line pilots, Whenever you are in training, get the "yes box" out. During debriefings, line checks, type ratings, only 1 possible answer...YES sir! "you ********************ed up"...yes sir, "you can't fly"...yes sir! ect... I have be told that the upgrade process is like a play. Learn you're part, go through the pile of books and no mater what, say...Yes sir! Well, I got in this business to be a pilot, not an actor! I use to fly for a Cargo Company in Luxembourg, and pilots were from all over. I flew with Koreans. Very nice people indeed, but it was hard to communicate due to their poor command of English...and we had those who could speak the best. I also heard numerous stories of colleagues coming from an Asian company, who had been promised an upgrade that never came, were lied to concerning their starting date, thus affecting how much time they owed the company... I know a guy from Scandinavia who was sued by Singapore Airlines because he had left to early (according to them, not to him...but you're always wrong with these people), and had to pay insane amounts of money. What I am trying to say, is that it's easy to point your finger at people when you have not been out of your turf.

I know significantly more about the facts of this case than you do. I've also witnessed similar cases many times.

Maybe you have, and I apologize if all this is familiar to you, but I have worked in the US and European system. I have adapted to my company's culture. I am trying not to be judgmental, argumentative, and unaccepting of the way that my airline wants me to operate the aircraft. Still...easier said than done. The good part: I have a job.

That's good, you'll be more successful that way.

Apology accepted.

Typhoonpilot

Latest resources

Back