Just went to Recurrent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
windycityflyer said:
10 GRAND FOR RECCURENT?, What, a week of ground school and a sim ride?, What did training consist of?I understand this maybe 91 or 135 but geesh.

Have you checked Simuflite's prices recently? $9785 for two days of ground and two days in the box (Westwind). We are a small company with only 2 pilots going to training per year, so no discounts. I know it's a rip off, but that's what 99% of the insurance companies are requiring.

rice said:
Can I get a big AMEN from the congregation(sp?)!!!!!!

-The Honorable Right Rev. Rice
(okay so maybe I'm not that honorable)

Oh Geez....I think the saw the right Rev. Rice out in OKC last week.....I'm thinking you'd have to give up the chew if you went over to "that" side?:eek:

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pass up a better opportunity. Employers will turn on you in a heartbeat and send you to the street without a thought. Training is the cost of doing business.TC

This is soooo true, never pass up a better opportunity. If someone offers you More money, better benefits for a flying job, then take it.

I can give you heartless examples of this in the corporate industry. Some Part 91 owners are rude and heartless to their pilots. ( hello, that is the person they depend their life on to get them from point A to point B) Unless you have a contract or something in writing like a training and pay contract for 3 to 6 months to 12 months, then you owe nothing. But never burn bridges, honesty is the best policy, you can always say, look I have college coming up, or I just bought a house, or something, YOUR MONEY and YOUR success is your business.

An opportunity came to you for a reason, and true offer to pay back any monies if this will keep things good in the long run. Always stay in touch with an ex-employer, via christmas card or something, chances are the employer will understand if you need more money and a better position,, YOu are only growing as a person, and there is nothing wrong with it, just like Starbucks wanting to open up more coffee houses and cafes.

Best of luck to the starter of this thread!!!!!!!! TAKE THE BETTER JOB! AND THEN TREAT US HERE!

MissKittyKat

This sounds like a decision process a girl would make.... (in high pitched voice)~I feel so guilty and all.~

I learned early on not to accept the current employer's raise. They wait a bit, then fire your butt once the other job is gone. You've already proven your disloyalty to them by looking at other jobs, so go take the new opportunity. Don't offer to pay back your training costs, either. Unless there is a contract, both sides are in the employment agreement "at-will". If you have a better relationship, by all means, try to keep it, but when the axe falls, it's your neck, not your boss'.

(Employers can fire your butt at any time.. but yer supposed to be cradle to grave? Dream on! United just raided their long-term employee-owners pensions from a time where it WAS cradle to grave.)

Before you jump ship, get the next job in writing, training date set, and plan for what happens if it fizzles out or the company sells the plane while you are in training. Will the new company pay your 3-6 months of unemployment because they raided you from a stable job?

Good luck!
Jedi Nein

For me its all about the money now, loyalty is good if your a dog. there is no loyalty in the word corporation..Show me the Money!!! recurrency is the price of insurance! Be nice but be fair to yourself. we all strive to be professionals lets get paid that way too!

You should

If you like your current job, company and people go to them explain the situation and ask them first to match the other companies offer. If they don't give them your notice.

Good Luck

Better opportunities don't come along all that often, but on the other hand, your employer will probably have a stack of resumes piled high in a week or two. Do what is best for you.

Unless a contract is involved (which would be exceptionally cheesy for a recurrent), Rythm3 needs to hit the road with nothing but a courteous letter and 2 week notice. 2 things are disturbing to me in this thread:

1) The mere suggestion that the timing of a recurrent has anything to do with taking another job. You have to go at least once a year – are some of you suggesting that you should only job hunt in your 11th month? That is nuts – Training money is a cost of doing business just like buying fuel or hangar rent. Do you think an employer would reconsider firing you just because you had just signed the note on a new house?

2) The idea of trying to get your boss to make a counter offer. I have witnessed some of that up close, and it is now on my list of things not to try. Let’s do the math: At this moment, your boss is paying you what he/she thinks you are worth. Now you twist their arm into a raise. Your pay is now above where they think it should be, and you let your job offer go. So next year, you get your June issue of Pro Pilot and discover you are getting hosed again. What now? Or worse yet, they smile, give you the raise, and then chop you loose after they have time to line up another pilot.

Don’t get caught up in this misplaced ‘do it for the team’ loyalty. You are in a brutal business. Vote with your feet. If your compensation is substandard, LEAVE. An employer truly interested in retaining employees will do so with pay, benefits, and descent working conditions. Period. Don’t encourage those Ebenezer Scrooge types by playing their game.

Latest resources

Back