Just how stupid is ASA management?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really stupid.

But the ASA pilots put up with it and just keep doing their job.

Sounds like there is finally some movement toward a few pilots doing something.

Watch out!

Fly with a screwed APU or pack and some person kicks off-you WILL GET YOUR BUTT SUED OFF!

Don't do it-under any circumstance when it is hot. ASA would not spend a single nickel to help you out-you would have to cough up many bucks out of your pocket..

-Never stick your neck out for these a-holes!!!!!!

-100% Safety-NOW!

I dont mean to stick my nose in another company's business, but believe me, myself and I am sure all of my XJT brothers and sisters are with ya...be glad to come out to Atl or the Lake and walk some circles with you guys. Have a couple of friends over there and I cant believe some of the stories they tell. Hope it all improves soon or something changes for you guys.

Actually, a passenger cannot sue you as an individual. ALPA mandates the company is to blame. I've NEVER heard of an individual getting sued at an airline. Perhaps I am wrong, but any source listed here would be the first I have heard of.

Really stupid.

But the ASA pilots put up with it and just keep doing their job.

Sounds like there is finally some movement toward a few pilots doing something.
Doubt it....bunch of pu$$ies that are too lazy to walk in to make calls, too tired to delay a flight to the overnight, and in too big of a hurry to get off work.
I totally understand these things, but can't for the life of me understand why these same people bitch and moan and then do nothing about it but bitch and moan.....and blame the only people trying to help them!

Actually, a passenger cannot sue you as an individual. ALPA mandates the company is to blame. I've NEVER heard of an individual getting sued at an airline. Perhaps I am wrong, but any source listed here would be the first I have heard of.

What the hell are you smoking? You can bet your ass they can sue you individually and if you screw the pooch, the company will cut ties and hang you out to dry.

Actually, a passenger can sue a pilot, has, and at times I've made a pretty good living helping to defend a few of them.

Most often in the 121 world the operator has insurance coverage that extends to cover the actions of the servants of that operator making the litigation time consuming, but not too risky for the pilot. The Plaintiffs are happy to get the money from the insurer and stop there.

However, some operators (or plaintiffs) will allege the pilot was operating outside the operator's procedures meaning that the pilot was operating outside of the scope of their authority. In that case, insurance coverage would no longer apply.

ASA's first reaction to any incident is to blame the pilot. (I don't know if that has changed since the departure of the former CSSC director.) I've always thought this was a stupid strategy since it provides lots of memos, reports and other evidence that could be quickly discovered and used against the pilot and the company (remember the pilot is the servant, representative and in some ways the Company's agent). ASA's simple minded approach seems to be related to trying to deflect any FAA action to the pilot's certificate and not the Company's. ASA lets the insurer deal with the mess from the liability perspective.

While getting sued directly from a passenger is a remote exposure, it can happen.

What is much more likely is that a passenger complains to the DOT/FAA, or a passenger injury is reported (as it is supposed to be) and you get a letter from the FAA in the mail. You might not have even been aware that the passenger complained and you might not have filed a NASA form, or ASAP....

Different FSDO offices and FAA Inspectors have wildly different ideas about proper enforcement action for passenger injuries. Fortunately we have an experienced and fair FSDO in ATL. Other areas are not as good and a 60 day suspension for a pax injury is common in some places.

Bottom line is this - as a crew member YOU are responsible for your passengers' safety. It does not matter how they get hurt, if there is any way that you can forsee a hazard and fail to protect them you can be held responsible and it is an easy case to make.

Last edited:
Harry said it correctly in many fewer words.

The thing is, I don't think there is enough emphasis on these points in training at most regional carriers and some majors.

Last edited:
The fuel of the legal system is......money.

Just how much money can one win in court from a regional pilot?

......you're safe!

Latest resources

Back