• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Junior Positions by Base Combined NWA/DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Give it a break. DAL acquired NWA, I don't have to say it, GL doesn't have to say it, Wall Street said it, and all the legal documents reflect an acquisition, not a merger of equals, even the MSP and DTW newspapers call it an acquisition. DAL acquired NWA. Please no more flamebait.

Really? Other than the name which remained Delta, it's mostly FNWA running your shop. Who acquired who?

Come on guys, they merged the name.

They took the first part of DELTA Airlines and the last part of Northwest AIRLINES.

DELTA AIRLINES.

Alpa had an opportunity.....

The decade thing sounds like it would work but it's hard to staff for a moving target. On top of that you would piss off a group every couple of years.

Look, I'm not for it or against it. It slows me down too but I don't know that I will work past 60. Hopefully out earlier than that. 1/2 the guys I fly with have a side business and the other 1/2 are working on it. If a guy is able to have a backup plan or additional income to provide for his retirement years then he will probably get out early. However, if for some reason another guy has inforseen expenses, divorce, investment loss, special needs child etc, he has the option of making some of that up.

If you are the later guy I'm sure you will be glad you have the opportunity to make that additional million or so the last 5 years.

I don't think moving the retirement age to age 65 would qualify as an injustice.

So here you are, ALPA, the largest union in the "airline pilot profession" and you have obviously come to the conclusion that the age 60 retirement is going to fall to the age 65 advocates. Fine! As a professional union, don't you go to all your members and explain that (done). Then you work with congress or the age 65 proponents to MITIGATE the immediate damage to some and windfall to others, afterall you are a union for the WHOLE profession, or just the top 10% captains?
The decade deal would have gone, raise the age by 1 year every two years. After 10 years, age 65 is the new norm. Amount of pilots who receive a huge windfall at the expense of everyone, nearly zero. The 59 year old would have gotten another two years in the seat vs 6. A decade worth of pilots would have eased the transition for the industry.
Sad fact is no one likes to retire. It's admitting that your done, kaput! Almost all 60 year olds are done with the family thing, have more toys than needs, and will just choose to stay on until 65 because that is "what they do". Remember the UAL captain who committed suicide two days after retirement? Not due to financial straights, not due to health, due to the fact that his whole identity for many years had been, hi, I'm chuck, United Airlines Captain.
All airlines have them and despite whatever financial advantage or nonsense it makes to retire at 60, most will stay. Rant over.....

Come on guys, they merged the name.

They took the first part of DELTA Airlines and the last part of Northwest AIRLINES.

DELTA AIRLINES.

Funny, America West bought USAir, but all the planes say USAir. Valuejet bought AirTran, but all the airplanes say AirTran.

It was a perfect endrun. NWA management and equity holders used DALs own money to buy themselves out, and wound up running the entire show after the fact.

+1 for originality

Nu

Funny, America West bought USAir, but all the planes say USAir. Valuejet bought AirTran, but all the airplanes say AirTran.

It was a perfect endrun. NWA management and equity holders used DALs own money to buy themselves out, and wound up running the entire show after the fact.

+1 for originality

Nu

Nice examples. Valujet was known as the people killer and America West is not known to anybody east of the mississippi. Same deal here. Name recognition. Delta acquired NWA. Move on. Your airline was not "all that", except to you.

So here you are, ALPA, the largest union in the "airline pilot profession" and you have obviously come to the conclusion that the age 60 retirement is going to fall to the age 65 advocates. Fine! As a professional union, don't you go to all your members and explain that (done). Then you work with congress or the age 65 proponents to MITIGATE the immediate damage to some and windfall to others, after all you are a union for the WHOLE profession, or just the top 10% captains?
The decade deal would have gone, raise the age by 1 year every two years. After 10 years, age 65 is the new norm. Amount of pilots who receive a huge windfall at the expense of everyone, nearly zero. The 59 year old would have gotten another two years in the seat vs 6. A decade worth of pilots would have eased the transition for the industry.
Sad fact is no one likes to retire. It's admitting that your done, kaput! Almost all 60 year olds are done with the family thing, have more toys than needs, and will just choose to stay on until 65 because that is "what they do". Remember the UAL captain who committed suicide two days after retirement? Not due to financial straights, not due to health, due to the fact that his whole identity for many years had been, hi, I'm chuck, United Airlines Captain.
All airlines have them and despite whatever financial advantage or nonsense it makes to retire at 60, most will stay. Rant over.....

Great idea, but it is now law and hind sight is 20/20. Good for the senior guys. Bad for the junior ones. Is this anything different than what has been happening since the dawn of aviation??

+1 for originality

Nu
What, DAL management, BOD, and equity/debt holders had nothing to say in this?...no influence?....no input? And, oh yeah, I almost forgot.... was there a pilot group that had any constructive influence? (such influence includes, but is certainly not limited to, proposing the most realistic and fair seniority list merger) How long had RA been gone from NW when he took over Delta?...six years? -Yet he is really NW, I suppose, in the same way the new Secretary of State is really a New Yorker and an Arkansan.(but not a Chicagoan) Was Bastian from NW? was Hauenstein?...Delusions of grandeur, my friend, (much like your seniority list proposal) NW and it's "corporate culture" did not conquer the airline world.......far from it.... In fact, NWA is, as we are speaking, rapidly and inexorably transfiguring itself into a mere "interesting footnote"* in airline history.
*-In later years, labor historians and analysts unanimously regarded the NWA pilot groups' actions and proposals in their 1986 and 2008 mergers as "how not to do a merger" (a phrase evidently attributed to one of NWA's own pilots.)
:smash: :uzi: ;)

Last edited:
What, DAL management, BOD, and equity/debt holders had nothing to say in this?...no influence?....no input? And, oh yeah, I almost forgot.... was there a pilot group that had any constructive influence? (such influence includes, but is certainly not limited to, proposing the most realistic and fair seniority list merger) How long had RA been gone from NW when he took over Delta?...six years? -Yet he is really NW, I suppose, in the same way the new Secretary of State is really a New Yorker and an Arkansan.(but not a Chicagoan) Was Bastian from NW? was Hauenstein?...Delusions of grandeur, my friend, (much like your seniority list proposal) NW and it's "corporate culture" did not conquer the airline world.......far from it.... In fact, NWA is, as we are speaking, rapidly and inexorably transfiguring itself into a mere "interesting footnote"* in airline history. :smash: :uzi: ;)

Another post from a junior FO who will watch hundreds of NWA narrowbody guys come in on top of him. My heart bleeds......

Latest resources

Back