Junior Captain at JetBlue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captain caveman

I was hired at Jet Blue just over 5 years ago. Then, a year later I went to Delta. It wasn't that I didn't like JetBlue, I did and usually had more fun at work, once I got there. But I found the commute from Atlanta tiring, and had gone through a divorce where I would get my kids 50% of the time. So I could rarely enjoy premium pay at JetBlue.

Now after 4 years at Delta, I'm a junior Md88 copilot and can enjoy a great schedule with weekends off on reserve, living in base. Or, I could probably fly an 80 hour line over weekends.

I'm just curious if by now I would have made captain on the 190 if I had stayed. I'm sure I would be holding a much better schedule as a 320 copilot at JetBlue than I can at Delta on the maddog.

I was hired at Jet Blue just over 5 years ago. Then, a year later I went to Delta. It wasn't that I didn't like JetBlue, I did and usually had more fun at work, once I got there. But I found the commute from Atlanta tiring, and had gone through a divorce where I would get my kids 50% of the time. So I could rarely enjoy premium pay at JetBlue.

Now after 4 years at Delta, I'm a junior Md88 copilot and can enjoy a great schedule with weekends off on reserve, living in base. Or, I could probably fly an 80 hour line over weekends.

I'm just curious if by now I would have made captain on the 190 if I had stayed. I'm sure I would be holding a much better schedule as a 320 copilot at JetBlue than I can at Delta on the maddog.

You would need to be at jetBlue 7 1/2 years to be a line holding A320 CA, but you'd probably be a 190 line holder now with a better than average schedule, which isn't saying much, as those trips suck. You'd also have back pain and a need to pick up flica trips as much as possible, though there aren't many these days to pick up.

Your medical for your family would cost you $740/mo., you'd have no work rules except the FARs, and your retirement would amount to a 5% contribution with your paying in 5%, and a 5% profit sharing paid four months timelate the next year. I'm sure you can point to your Delta retirement, work rules, and medical, along with seniority retirement movement as very good reasons to justify your being on the Delta property.

We fly shiny airplanes, but our management sucks and so does our compensation and benefits. We fatigue quicker than any other pilot group too.

Note:
For any newhire, multiply the number of jetBlue pilots by 3 (right now that's 2300 x 3 = 6900) and when jetBlue has that number of pilots, you will be a line holding A320 Captain, working holidays, weekends, and redeyes. When will B6 have 6900 pilots?............NEVER.

Last edited:
You would need to be at jetBlue 7 1/2 years to be a line holding A320 CA, but you'd probably be a 190 line holder now with a better than average schedule, which isn't saying much, as those trips suck. You'd also have back pain and a need to pick up flica trips as much as possible, though there aren't many these days to pick up.

Your medical for your family would cost you $740/mo., you'd have no work rules except the FARs, and your retirement would amount to a 5% contribution with your paying in 5%, and a 5% profit sharing paid four months timelate the next year. I'm sure you can point to your Delta retirement, work rules, and medical, along with seniority retirement movement as very good reasons to justify your being on the Delta property.

We fly shiny airplanes, but our management sucks and so does our compensation and benefits. We fatigue quicker than any other pilot group too.

Note:
For any newhire, multiply the number of jetBlue pilots by 3 (right now that's 2300 x 3 = 6900) and when jetBlue has that number of pilots, you will be a line holding A320 Captain, working holidays, weekends, and redeyes. When will B6 have 6900 pilots?............NEVER.

I wish you would take you're bitter ass to Delta.

What is he saying that is not true?? I can't see how any pilot can be happy with what you guys have...it blows!!

As for his last paragraph, well, that's his personal opinion. Time will tell on that, if they are around still

Most junior A320 CA was hired in Apr 2006. Most junior E180(hehe) CA hired probably six months later.

It sounds like you started JB shortly after I did. I'm currently a BOS A320 FO and bid around 15ish %. I get the trips I want, weekends off, and 15-17 days off a month. I could have more days off but I bid 4-days, which are less productive than day turns, so I don't have to keep a crashpad.

Relative seniority is nice but there's nothing like living in base. Hope the maddog is treating you well.

No chance dipsh!t, I'm going to be the guy on your next 5 day trip laughing at your lack of any knowledge of anything around you, like your CEOs intimate relationship with Frank Lorenzo and New York Air, or the fact your Chairman of the Board teaches negotiating at Stanford University's Graduate School of Management and you and 14,000 other idiots can't negotiate a thing..........by design.

What is he saying that is not true?? I can't see how any pilot can be happy with what you guys have...it blows!!

As for his last paragraph, well, that's his personal opinion. Time will tell on that, if they are around still

No reason to come work here, can't you see what clowns you'd be junior to? Now that would really be insulting.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back