• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseating vs. Non-Rev....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a commuting dispatcher, I wholeheartedly agree, however, the crux is immediate employment verification for the offliner - is he/she who they say they are? Right after the post-9/11 ops restart, there was a report of an idiot (pilot) who OMC'ed on UAL, after having been fired from his airline. He acted all flaky in flight, F/A reports it to the captain, who ended up calling his airline and found out he was persona-non-grata. Thanks a$$hole.

At my airline, we will allow some offline pilots (just code share regionals) to ride flight deck jumpseat only if there are no seats in the back - that is in our FOM. The reason they can is that, since they use the same computer system that we do, their employment status is immediately verifiable prior to boarding.

For example, in our computer system, when the agent punches in my badge number, it says "certified airman - flight deck access permitted", and I am good to go. This verification is required before the agent will take my form to the captain to get it signed.

Once universal access is implemented (not that I am holding my breath for it), where offliner employment is verifiable as an authorized 121.547 jumpseater, is when I think offliners (both pilots and dispatchers) will be permitted in airliner flight decks again.

My airline will take any 121 pilot, dispatcher, or A&P certified technician (they rightly are defined as a certified airman) as a cabin-riding jumpseater.

Seems like the 717 is much more fuel efficient than the DC-9. I read where Air Tran was saving 200$ per flight hour in fuel alone by flying the 717 as opposed to the DC-9. Looks like that pays for the crew!!

ASA,

The 717 fuel burn is approximately 30 percent less than the 9. that is why we have accelerated the retirement schedule of the
9's.

Fletch

That is wonderful. There is nothing wrong with a very fuel efficient airplane. It's nice to see you guys making money.

Just think of the profit margins on concourse "C" between the both of us!!

Jumpseat

Pilots are not the only ones that can jumpseat. Dispatchers and instructors can jumpseat only on their own airline because their identity can be verified electronically. By regulation, these individuals have to observe line operations periodically.. The Airlines are working with the TSA on universal access to allow reciprocating pilots back in other airlines jumpseats.

To clarify a couple earlier points: flight attendants can jumpseat, but only on the flight attendant jumpseat in the cabin. Only a qualified pilot, instructor, dispatcher, mechanic, or fed can ride the cockpit jumpseat(s).
Also, if in uniform while non-revving one cannot consume alcohol.

"BASSET HOUNDS RULE"

HeeHee.....my Basset (Baxter) thinks so too!

Actually,
Flight Attendants can jumpseat in the cockpit jumpseat, if their airline's operations manual allows it. I used to be a dispatcher at an airline that did allow this, and I put them on the jumpseat regularly. Actually, just about anyone can get approval from the Director of Operations, but those that are not certificated airmen must have a seat avaiable in the back. So, it doesn't help to get you on a full aircraft.

Latest resources

Back